•Chapter 19•

"Great, great, let's go. You can do this, girls," Mrs. Lanai clapped her hands as she watched us play. "Trina, you're tripping, play like you know what you're doing."

After practice, I sat on the floor next to my bag with Anna. Mrs. Lanai was on the other side talking to Trina. I wasn't totally sure what they were discussing, but judging from Trina's body language, I could easily guess a few things.

"What's up with Trina?" I asked Anna.

"She isn't really good with basketball; it keeps slipping out of her hands," Anna explained, pulling off her headband and letting her hair fall to her shoulders. "What she did at the national championship was a miracle."

"She can do better," I said with a bright smile. Anna gave me a weird look, like she didn't understand my point. "If she's taught, I believe she'll do better. She has the spirit."

"Yeah," Anna agreed, nodding her head.

I glanced over at Mrs. Lanai and saw Liam talking to her, while Trina grabbed her bag and walked away. "Wait, what's he doing here?" My eyes widened.

"Who?" Anna followed my gaze. "Liam? He's Mrs. Lanai's nephew. I heard he's been living with her since he was five."

Standing up, I grabbed my bag. "See you tomorrow. I have a family dinner to catch up with." I slung my bag over my left shoulder and walked out toward the parking lot.

"Mom has given birth!" Ashley exclaimed, almost squeezing the life out of me. I froze, trying to understand the entire situation, including her being happy about it. "The baby is cute, Zoey. He looks more like Mom."

"So it's a boy. Yay," I faked excitement, rolling my eyes as I walked past her and met a smiling Mrs. Becca. When she saw me, her face lit up.

"Zoey, your mom has given birth. To a baby boy," she said.

"Wow, where are they?" I asked, feeling disgusted.

"In the hospital."

Frowning and folding my arms across my chest, I muttered, "I hope they stay there."

I collapsed onto the couch in my room and tossed my bag onto a nearby table. Sometimes I don't understand my family. A few days ago, Ashley hated Mom because of what she did. I knew my advice wasn't enough to make her easily change her mind, but I never thought she'd buy the idea.

Obviously, she did, which I hate. And now that baby...

I lay flat on the bed and took out my phone. I had five messages from Madison.

Gemma
Hey bestie congrats on your new baby brother

Gemma
I'm really happy, can't wait to see that cutie Puff puff.

Gemma
I wish he was a girl, I would have brought girly gift for him.

Gemma
Now I'll have to shop for boyish things, let's go for shopping for him.

Gemma
Please, you better not hate that little cuteness. I don't want to hear or imagine it.

I rolled my eyes realizing I've gotten to the end of the messages, tapping my hand furiously on the empty space next to me.

Zoey
Who told you about it? Don't say the news cause I've checked it. It isn't there.

Gemma
I'm your next door neighbor, have you forgotten? I heard your sister and Mrs Becca shouting and celebrating it.

Zoey
I think I'm going to be sick.

Dropping my phone onto the bed, I walked over to the mirror. Sitting on the chair covered with purple fur, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my hair pulled back into a messy bun. I decided to take a quick shower, heading into the bathroom.

After the shower, I deliberated over my outfit choice. Picking out a knit black crop top and black jeans, I hesitated. Should I wear this? Everyone might think I'm mourning the baby. I reconsidered and grabbed a pair of blue jeans shorts and a yellow shirt with a bold design. Yeah, that's better.

But then doubt crept in. No, I can't wear this. They might think I'm against the baby because it's a boy. I can't let my thoughts be influenced by the baby's gender.

Frustrated, I tossed the clothes back into my closet and flopped face-first onto my bed, still wrapped in a towel. Letting out a scream of frustration, I grabbed my phone from the bed and typed a message to Gemma.

Zoey
I need your help, I can't seem to figure out what to wear. Can you help me?

Gemma
Um, I'm not really good with fashion but I think black hoodie and blue jeans will do.

Zoey
It has black, I don't want everyone to think I'm mourning the baby.

Gemma
It's not like that, they won't even notice your outfit. They're too excited.

She's right.

Zoey
Thanks

"What are you wearing, Zoey?" Ashley asked as I entered the dining room.

I rolled my eyes. "Clothes." I slid into one of the empty chairs while Mrs. Becca served dinner.

"Is there something wrong with her outfit?" Dad inquired, struggling to discern what Ashley was complaining about.

"Everything," Ashley replied. "Zoey is wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans."

"Oh, I am," I admitted, glancing down at my attire. "I didn't even realize."

"Are you mourning someone?" Mrs. Becca asked as she filled my plate with spaghetti and meatballs.

"No, it's just what I felt like wearing today," I replied quickly.

"From my perspective, sis, you're mourning the baby," Ashley insisted.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I acknowledged she was right. "Yes, I'm mourning the baby and Mom."

Dad stood up in disbelief. "It's your mother we're talking about, Zoey. Forget the baby; do you want your mother to die?"

"Yes, Dad. Ever since Mom walked out of this house and broke our hearts, she's been dead to me," I confessed.

"I thought you had forgiven Mom. You even talked me into it," Ashley interjected.

"Now you know I didn't. After what she did, she doesn't deserve my forgiveness. Can't you see the reality, sis? Dad hasn't paid attention to us since Mom came back. All he cares about is her and now the baby."

"Enough, Zoey," Dad said sternly as he walked out of the dining room, with Ashley following him. Before she left, she turned to me. "Thanks, sis. You just ruined dinner for everyone."

Thanks for reading please vote, comment and share