•Chapter 23•

Three days had passed, and I still found myself sitting next to an empty chair in class. The worst part was that our project, the idea Liam and I had suggested, hadn't seen any progress. I struggled to move forward with the presentation, as I needed Liam's input since he was the one who initially proposed the idea.

During Mrs. Bennett's class, I couldn't concentrate as she stood next to the board, further explaining the project's importance. "This project will be a significant part of your final exams. Doing well here will greatly benefit your college applications," she emphasized, her gaze falling on the empty chair beside me. "Miss Hughes, what's the status of your partner? Why hasn't he been in school?" she inquired.

"I'm not sure," I replied calmly, though internally, I felt a wave of frustration. "He might be sick or something."

"Check on your partner after school today. If the situation is serious, I might have to assign you to a third group," she instructed before dismissing the class. The weight of the task ahead hung heavily on my shoulders.

I had never dreaded the sound of the final school bell before, but today it filled me with apprehension. "Stop acting like you're being sent to a haunted house," Gemma chided, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"It feels like it," I admitted, rising hesitantly from my seat.

"If you don't want to fail this project, you'll have to muster up some courage," Gemma encouraged. "I'll go with you, so nothing will happen."

"Thanks," I replied gratefully.

AS THE CAR APPROACHED a gated mansion surrounded by lush vegetation, Gemma and I exchanged uncertain glances. "Looks more like a fascinating haunted house," Gemma whispered, eyeing the grandeur of the estate.

"I didn't realize Liam's aunt was so wealthy," I murmured, watching as the gates creaked open, seemingly welcoming us. The driver parked, and we stepped out of the car. "It's like they were expecting us," I remarked.

"Mrs. Bennett must have informed them," I reasoned as we made our way toward the mansion, which resembled my parents' home but on a larger scale.

I rang the intercom, and the door opened to reveal Mrs. Lanai, who greeted us warmly. "Please, come in."

We followed her into the living room, adorned with beige furniture and an artistic picture of a woman shooting a basketball hung prominently on the wall. To the left was a photo of a young Liam, proudly holding a basketball trophy alongside Mrs. Lanai and a man.

"You're welcome to my humble home. I was just about to prepare dinner when I saw your car approaching the gate. Would you like to stay for dinner?" Mrs. Lanai offered.

Glancing at Gemma, who seemed captivated by the surroundings, I nodded slightly. "Actually, Mrs. Lanai, I came here to check up on Liam. We're working on a school project together, and he hasn't been coming to school recently."

A flash of sorrow passed over Mrs. Lanai's face before she resumed her warm smile, but my heart clenched at the thought of something bad happening to Liam. Losing him as a project partner would mean saying goodbye to an A grade.

Noticing the somber atmosphere, Gemma turned to me with a concerned expression, mirroring my own apprehension.

"Liam's behavior has become erratic. A few weeks ago, he came home angry and wouldn't speak a word to me," Mrs. Lanai explained, settling into the burgundy three-seater couch. "I suspect someone said something to upset him. I've tried to shield him from his past since he came to live with me, hoping he'd forget. But lately, I've noticed signs of drug use."

I glanced at Gemma, who listened with a pained expression. She gave me a sympathetic look, as if regretting bringing up Liam's past.

"Liam has a troubled history, one I'd rather forget. I know how difficult it must be for him," Mrs. Lanai continued, capturing my attention. "How could I ever forget?"

"Can I see him?" I interjected. "Maybe he just needs someone to understand him."

"I've tried talking to him, but he's shut me out. I wish I could help him. He hasn't eaten in four days," Mrs. Lanai sighed heavily. "His room is on the second floor."

I nodded, signaling for Gemma to follow, but she shook her head slightly and said. "I don't want to mess things up again."

Feeling betrayed by her, I put on the courage and walked up the stairs. Halfway up, Mrs Lanai called out to me. "Be careful, Zoey!"

As I climbed, each step felt like a hesitant approach into a danger zone, where I could be the prey. Standing before a tall brown door with delicate gold trim, I knocked softly, receiving no response. Knocking again, I grew more uncertain, fearing I might be at the wrong door.

After several attempts, a faint voice from within asked me to leave. Gathering my courage, I turned the doorknob, which emitted a creaking sound as I pushed the door open slowly. Before I could fully take in the room or its occupant, a large object struck me on the head.

Thanks for reading please vote comment and share.