•Chapter 39•

Almost as if by magic, the week flew by, and I found myself standing in front of a full-length mirror, staring at my reflection with five questions embedded in my thoughts.

How did I end up in this mess? Do I have to attend this party? Why do I have mixed feelings about all this? What if I don't go? What am I going to wear?

Groaning, I fell face-first onto my bed, and with another groan, my phone made another clicking sound, alerting me to a message I had no interest in checking. I raised myself from the bed and walked hesitantly to my closet, which was mostly filled with hoodies and jeans of various colors. Based on my resolution routine, I never envisioned anything relating to socializing, but in this case, my choice wasn't something to consider.

I took out a red hoodie and black jeans and tossed them on the bed. I then lowered myself to the shoe rack in search of the perfect pair of heels, when Mackenzie walked in. She was already dressed up in a silver off-shoulder gown with crystal sequins, her hair now neatly curled, falling to waist length.

"Don't tell me you plan on wearing that to the party?" She asked, pointing at the hoodie on my bed.

I shrugged. "Is there a problem with my choice?"

She sighed. "That's why I suggested we go shopping. Ximena's party is something worth dressing up for. I don't want you to feel out of place," she explained, disappointment evident in her voice.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to go shopping with you guys. I had an unexpected class that I had to attend," I said softly, sitting on the bed beside her, giving her the vibe that I didn't want to go to this party. But she seemed too focused on the importance of my presence to consider my feelings.

She walked to my closet and pulled out an off-white shopping bag with a Louis Vuitton tag. "You can wear this," she said, pulling out a white dress with black designs imprinted on it.

AS SOON AS I STEPPED out of the car and saw the building opposite me, which I assumed was Ximena's mansion, my whole idea of not wanting to attend the party changed.

It was like standing opposite the grandest mansion in the world, the entrance adorned with white and brown roses, fancy beads glued to the petals. A logo made with gold fillings stood proudly at the front of the building, atop a waterfall, glittering and boldly stating Ximena's company name.

A red carpet was spread at the entrance, leading inside the building, with cameras flashing every few seconds, their bright lights dazzling enough to blind anyone who stared directly at them. Everyone was elegantly dressed, adorned in Louis Vuitton, Gucci, or upscale NYC attire.

Mackenzie and Layla walked closely together as they entered the building's interior, while I lingered at the entrance, my eyes fixed on the beautiful image of Ximena holding one of her skincare products. Her smile was mesmerizing, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Just staring at her poster made it feel like she was smiling specifically for me.

"Are you a fan of Ximena?" A voice interrupted my thoughts. I turned to see an elderly woman smiling at me.

I blinked, trying to shake off the image of Ximena from my mind, but it proved difficult after staring at her picture for so long. "Not really. I'm somewhat related to her," I mumbled.

The woman beamed, almost as if ready to hug me tightly. "You must really love her to pretend to be her relative. Ximena must be proud to have fans like you."

I felt offended by her assumption, but I decided to clarify. "She's on my basketball team. Columbia University," I said, rolling my eyes.

She stared at me as if I were a lunatic, as if I were being pretentious. "That's amusing. You have quite the talent for making things sound believable."

Fed up, my anger reached its boiling point, becoming harder to conceal. I was about to retort when I felt someone's hand on mine.

"She's with me," Dylan said, his hand gently squeezing mine. The woman gave me a dissatisfied look and walked away. I turned to Dylan, withdrawing my hand.

"What's wrong with that lady?" I asked, my frustration evident.

"That's Lorelei, Ximena's personal adviser. She's always like that with unfamiliar faces. Don't take offense," Dylan explained, tucking his hand into his pocket. "You look great. I like your dress."

"Thanks," I replied with a smile.

He smirked. "Would you do me the honor of walking down the red carpet with me?"

I nodded, smiling, and we walked in together. "Keep a mild smile and wave," Dylan murmured as we reached halfway into the building. I followed his instructions and found myself enjoying it, relishing the warm welcome from people who hardly knew me.

This was what I had always wanted – to be in the spotlight – and I was experiencing it just from attending a party. I smiled and waved excitedly. I saw Dylan looking down at me as we finally stepped off the carpet, heading toward where Mackenzie and Layla stood talking to a chubby lady dressed a little differently from everyone else in the hall.

"Hey, Zoey," Mackenzie waved at me. As I approached her, she wrapped her arms around me in a mild hug. "Yvonne, this is my friend, Zoey. Zoey, meet Yvonne."

"Hi," I greeted, giving her a slight hug. "Are you Ximena's sister?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Yes, how did you know that?"

"Um, I'm a fan of your sister," I lied, remembering Sarah's words.

Yvonne smiled. "Wow, that's cool. I'm your fan too. I watched several of your high school matches, especially the nationals. I loved them."

I returned her smile brightly. "Thanks."

"Let's grab some champagne," she suggested, and we walked together to the other side of the hall.

Thanks for reading, please vote comment and share.