•Chapter 33•

"Why are you following me?" he demanded, his voice alive with intensity. "Don't even think about calling the cops. Drop the phone." His gaze bore into Gemma, who obediently stowed her phone in her pocket.

I stepped forward cautiously. "We're not here to involve the police," I assured him, trying to keep my tone steady despite the nerves fluttering in my stomach. "We just want to talk."

He scanned the surroundings before focusing on me. "Go ahead," he said, his voice still tense but slightly less hostile.

"Liam, your son, is missing, and we think you might know something about his whereabouts," I explained, hoping to strike a chord of concern or empathy in him. Gemma's hand found mine, offering silent support.

His eyes widened in shock. "My son? Missing?" he repeated, disbelief etched in his features as he ran a hand through his thinning hair.

"Have you seen him? Do you have any idea where he could be?" I asked, my voice low and steady, trying to contain the urgency and anxiety bubbling within me.

His expression shifted slightly. "He can't be missing. I've been away from him for years, but deep within my heart, I know he's safe."

Gemma shot me a puzzled look, and I struggled to maintain a composed façade, masking the turmoil churning inside me. "Liam's been missing for weeks, and the police investigation has led to only one person."

"That's you. They think you kidnapped Liam or worse," Gemma interjected, her gaze fixed on Mr. Thomas, as if searching for answers in his demeanor.

"What do you think they'll say?" Mr. Thomas began to walk away slowly. "I've made mistakes in the past, and now, after escaping from prison, anyone would assume the worst."

"But did you?" Gemma pressed, her voice tinged with urgency.

He halted and turned to face her. "I... I love my son, and regardless of my past actions, I still regret them deeply. The years I spent behind bars..."

The blaring of police sirens echoed closer, and before Mr. Thomas could make a move, two policemen rounded the corner. He attempted to flee again, but it was futile. We were surrounded.

The officers swiftly apprehended Mr. Thomas, pinning him to the ground and securing him with handcuffs. "Your time is up, Mr. Thomas. It's time to return where you belong," one of the officers declared as he escorted him toward the waiting police car.

"Did he harm you?" One of the policemen inquired, concern etched on his face.

I shook my head numbly, still reeling from the whirlwind of events. Lost in my thoughts, I barely registered Gemma's presence beside me.

"I don't think he had anything to do with Liam's disappearance," we both murmured simultaneously.

"I can't think straight, Gemma," I confessed, feeling overwhelmed.

"Neither can I. This whole situation is like something out of a detective novel," she remarked, her voice filled with frustration. "Liam is missing."

I PUSHED OPEN THE DOOR TO MY ROOM, feeling drained as I made my way to the bed. All I craved was some rest and respite from the chaos. Collapsing onto the mattress, I stared at the glowing screen of my phone. I scrolled through my past conversations with Liam, resisting the urge to hurl the device across the room in frustration.

A knock on the door jolted me from my thoughts, causing me to toss my phone onto the couch beside me. Letting out a frustrated groan, I flopped back onto the bed as the door slowly creaked open.

There was only one person bold enough to intrude into my space without permission, one person whose presence exuded icy detachment: Ashley. She stood by the door, her hand still lingering on the knob, her face pallid and her eyes reddened from tears.

Clearly, she had been crying – but for what reason, I couldn't fathom.

"So, you got accepted," she stated flatly, her hand dropping to her side.

I regarded her with a mix of irritation and concern, but as I observed her fragile state, my initial reaction softened. "Yes," I replied quietly.

She rolled her eyes, a hint of bitterness tainting her tone. "I'm happy for you. I...I'm sorry for doubting you," she muttered, her voice wavering. "You're really fortunate, sis. I wish I were you."

Sympathy welled up within me as I watched her struggle to maintain composure. "You don't have to be me, and truth be told, my life isn't exactly a bed of roses right now," I admitted gently.

Her tears finally spilled over, tracing a path down her cheeks. "I'm going to miss you," she confessed, her voice choked with emotion. "And you should know that I'll always support you."

My jaw dropped, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes heavenward. "Thanks, sis, for the support and the unexpected visit."

She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand and shot me a deadly stare, making me brace myself for her next reaction. To my surprise, she softened and offered a smile as she walked over to sit beside me on the bed.

"I like your new hairstyle, and I think the whole resolution thing is cool," she admitted.

"What, have you been snooping through my stuff?" I exclaimed.

"I came to see you earlier and stumbled upon your journal. I didn't mean to pry," she explained hurriedly.

I waved off her apology. "Never mind, it's not like it's anything new for you to know."

Just then, Mrs. Becca's voice echoed down the hallway. "Dinner is ready!"

"We're coming!" Ashley shouted in response, then turned to me. "My friend Mackenzie is a senior at Columbia University. Her parents have a big house there and she can help you with accommodation and getting around."

"I've already decided to stay in the campus dorm," I replied firmly.

"But Mom and Dad think it's a great idea for you to stay with her," Ashley insisted.

"No, Ashley, stop trying to live my life for me. This is my decision, and I don't want to argue about it," I shot back, my tone firm.

"I'm not trying to interfere, I just want to make sure you're not feeling left out. You've never been to New York, and having someone familiar with the area could make things easier for you," she reasoned calmly, and I found myself considering her words. "But if you still don't want to, I won't push it."

With that, she stood up and began heading towards the door, leaving me to contemplate her offer. "Mackenzie," I mouthed to myself, before sighing. "Maybe your idea isn't so bad after all."

"You're going to like her," Ashley said, offering a reassuring smile before closing the door behind her.

Taking a deep breath, I let it out slowly. My life was about to take an unexpected turn, and I had a feeling there were no seat belts on this ride.

Thanks for reading please, vote comment, and share.