•Chapter 46•

I SHOT ANOTHER BASKETBALL into the net, watching it bounce back to the ground. Catching it, I prepared to make another shot when a voice interrupted my rhythm.

"You're such a great player," Ximena said as she approached me with a basketball in hand. "I've been looking for you all morning."

I smiled faintly, appreciating the distraction. "Thanks. I needed some alone time, and playing here helps."

Ximena moved closer, sensing my mood. "Having one of those confused moments, huh?" She nudged me gently.

I nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry, it'll pass. Everything does," she reassured me with a laugh. "This too shall pass."

"I hope so, but I'm not sure I'll ever forgive myself for this one," I confessed, walking over to the bleachers. "I feel like a bad person."

Ximena's expression shifted, a mix of understanding and disbelief. "You're not a bad person. From what I've heard, you're the best. Besides, who's perfect? We all have our moments, good or bad."

I managed a small smile, taking a seat on the bleachers. "Life's just... messy sometimes. I wish mine could be perfect."

"No one's life is perfect," Ximena countered, joining me. "People might think mine is because of my company and all that. But deep down, I'm a mess. I lost my father to cancer a few weeks ago. He was my rock, my reason for success. Yet, everyone still sees me smiling for the cameras, thinking everything's fine. They think I'm happy, but I'm just giving them what they expect."

She sighed, and we sat in silence for a moment, sharing our burdens in the midst of the basketball court.

"I'm sorry for your loss," I offered.

Ximena chuckled briefly before her expression turned somber. "Thanks. If you've hurt a friend, there's always room for apologies. It works for me. Just give them some time," she advised, then stood up. "Wanna play basketball? Let's see who's up for the challenge."

I rose to my feet, intrigued. "What challenge?"

"Cheer up. Let's play eight to eight. First to reach eight wins," she proposed, planting one hand on her hip and dribbling the basketball with the other. "Come on, champion."

I grinned and accepted the challenge. "Okay, let's do this. Let's boss this thing."

*****

"I didn't know you were such a good player," Ximena commented as we leaned against the counter, waiting for the waitress to take our order. "No one should underestimate you."

I laughed. "You're pretty good yourself."

"Don't kid me," she dismissed, turning to the waitress to place our order. "Two smoothies, one banana and the other vanilla."

"Zoey, can I talk to you for a moment?" Liam's voice interrupted.

Instantly, I felt my blood boil at the sight of him. "I have nothing to say to you."

"Please, I can't bear the fact that you've been avoiding me," he pleaded.

"How could you do such a thing? You're so selfish," I accused.

"I thought that's what you wanted, I did that for you. I love..."

Before he could finish his statement, I slapped him. "How could you say that?"

Ximena looked between us, bewildered. "Liam, Zoey?" She murmured. "What's going on? Do you two know each other?"

I walked away without another word.

"Zoey, please listen to me," Liam pleaded, reaching for my hand, but I swatted it away. "I never loved her, I love you."

Ignoring him, I continued walking, but before I could tell him to leave me alone, Dylan appeared out of nowhere and threw a punch at Liam.

"That's for hurting my friend," he shouted.

Students nearby rushed to the scene, separating them. Dylan struggled to break free, while Liam attempted to retaliate.

Eventually, we were sent to the student counselor.

I pushed open the door to the spacious hall, where a woman sat across from a round table. She adjusted her glasses upon seeing me and gestured for me to take a seat.

"Miss Hughes, please sit down," she said, motioning to a chair opposite her. "I understand you're new here, but this isn't the way I expected your freshman year to begin."

She sighed. "Both young men have given me their versions of the events, but I'd like to hear your side of the story."

"I never anticipated being part of this, but some guys just don't know their boundaries, and in this case, Liam crossed a line," I explained calmly, recounting the situation from the beginning to where it had escalated.

The counselor listened attentively as I spoke. "From what I observed, Liam appears confused, and while he may care for your friend, his actions were inappropriate. I'm glad to see you've moved on. My advice is to focus on your academics, maintain a good GPA, mend your friendship, and if you need guidance, don't hesitate to seek it from me."

"Thank you, Mrs. Winston," I said gratefully.

She smiled kindly and folded her hands on the table. "Remember, being sent to see me is a warning. Let's avoid any further drama."

I nodded and turned to leave, but she called me back, offering a novel.

"Read this. It's the best I've ever read, and I think it will resonate with you," she said.

I glanced at the title, 'Love Me. Choose Me.'

"Thank you, Mrs. Winston," I replied, taking the book with gratitude.

Thanks for reading please vote comment and share.