•Chapter 42•

THE LAST PERSON I wanted to encounter that morning as I hurried down the hallway toward my first class of the day was Liam. He was walking in my direction, almost as if fate was conspiring to bring us together. I lowered my gaze, pretending not to notice him.

As I turned the corner, I spotted Sarah heading toward the lecture hall, and I quickened my pace to catch up with her.

"Hey, Zoey," Sarah greeted as she adjusted the books in her arms. "This morning has been so stressful. I had an early class and now rushing to this one. Carrying over courses is such a hassle."

I glanced around to ensure Liam wasn't nearby, my attention divided between my friend and the lingering worry of encountering him. "How many courses do you have to carry over?" I inquired, only partially focused on her response as I scanned the surroundings.

"Two," she replied with a heavy sigh.

"It's manageable. Just study hard and make sure you pass them," I offered, trying to shift my thoughts away from Liam as we entered the lecture hall and took our seats.

The rest of the class felt like being ensnared in a tangle of my own thoughts. I couldn't concentrate, couldn't grasp what the professor was saying. All I could think about was the looming presence of someone from my past, someone who had once meant everything to me.

So many questions swirled in my mind. What had happened to Liam? Why had he abandoned me without a word? Was I just a pawn in some twisted game, or was this part of his revenge?

"Zoey," Sarah's voice broke through my reverie, tapping me lightly on the arm. "You seem lost in thought. What's going on?"

I managed a weak smile, closing the book in front of me. "Just distracted," I murmured.

She stood up. "You can't fool me. I can tell when something's bothering you."

I grabbed my book as we headed toward the exit together. "I'm fine, really. There's nothing—" Before I could finish, I found myself face to face with Liam.

It was as if I had come face to face with a ghost.

"Zoey, can I talk to you?" His voice was calm, but it stirred up a storm of emotions within me.

I frowned, my heart racing. "Not right now, Liam," I replied, feeling a surge of defiance rising within me. It was as if a fire had been ignited inside me, burning fiercely.

"How about after school, we can meet at the bleachers near the soccer field," Liam suggested.

"That won't work either, I have basketball practice after school," I replied, cutting off any possibility of further discussion.

He lowered his gaze, a mix of sadness and confusion crossing his face before he looked back up at me. "I'm sorry, Zoey. Let me explain what happened, please. Let's meet after school."

Sarah gently squeezed my hand, silently urging me to give him a chance. I looked at her, and she mouthed, "Give him a chance to explain."

I rolled my eyes in frustration. "What makes you think I want to hear anything you have to say? And even if I do, it won't change anything."

Walking away, I didn't spare him a second glance. After all that had transpired, I had no desire to see him again. Sarah followed me, remaining silent for a moment before speaking up.

"Zoey, I think you should listen to what that guy has to say. He seems confused, and I don't like it when guys are left feeling that way," she said calmly.

I sighed, coming to a stop. "I'm more confused than anyone right now, and I don't want to talk about it."

She shrugged, her expression brightening with a sudden thought. "Yesterday, after you left, Ximena asked me for your number!" she exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes, finding it difficult to muster enthusiasm. "That's cool."

"Cool? That's all you have to say? Do you realize how many people would kill for a chance like that?" she exclaimed, her tone tinged with sarcasm.

I shrugged again. "I have other things to worry about right now. Ximena isn't one of them."

AFTER SCHOOL, I found myself sitting alone on the bleachers, waiting for Liam. It was Gemma's idea for me to hear him out, suggesting he might have a valid reason for what happened. So there I was, reluctantly waiting, doubting whether he would even show up. Glancing at my watch, I realized I'd been waiting for almost five minutes. If he didn't arrive soon, I'd leave.

"What are you doing here all by yourself?" someone asked from behind me.

Turning, I saw Mackenzie and Layla approaching. "Oh, nothing. Just watching the soccer game," I replied, scanning the field again. "Want to join?"

"I didn't know you liked soccer too. I'm a fan of both soccer and basketball," Layla said, taking a seat beside me.

"Wow, that's cool," I replied with a forced smile.

"I feel like I don't belong in the midst of you two," Mackenzie joked as she sat next to Layla. "I don't like either of them, basketball or soccer."

"No, you belong with us," Layla interjected.

A cold chill ran down my spine as I spotted Liam walking toward us. I felt like disappearing at that moment.

It was a feeling I couldn't explain.

As soon as Mackenzie saw him, she stood up and made her way to him. I looked away, not wanting to witness their interaction.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as Mackenzie wrapped her arms around him briefly. I wasn't jealous, and I didn't want to feel that way either.

They approached where Layla and I were sitting. "Hey, Layla and..." Liam paused for a moment, as if lost in thought. He blinked, seeming to shake off whatever distraction had gripped him. "Zoey."

Mackenzie noticed everything, her gaze drifting between Liam and me. "I didn't get a chance to introduce my boyfriend to you, Zoey. Meet Liam. He's the guy I was telling you about. He's the nicest person I've ever known." She smiled, resting her head on his arm.

Thanks for reading please 🥺 vote ⭐ comment... and share↪️