•Chapter 40•

"Are you new to New York?" Yvonne asked as she grabbed two champagne glasses from the tray, handing one to me.

"Yes, I've always fancied being in this city. It's my sister's dream to be here," I said.

She giggled, taking a sip from her drink. "That's cool. I grew up here. It was my parents' decision. We were born in Japan, but a few days after I turned six, my mom said she wanted us to experience something outside of our home country. I love it here, though."

"I can relate, but things are always the opposite for me. But your sister is cool," I replied, raising my glass to take a sip. Just as I was about to drink, I saw Ximena walking down the stairs. When she reached halfway, everyone turned towards her.

"Greetings, my friends, colleagues, and fans. It's an honor to see you all here today," she said, her face glowing as she waved and smiled at the flashing camera lights. "I want you all to feel at home. This party is going to make history. And for all of you who are new to NYC, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay in this great city."

Applause erupted throughout the room. Ximena signaled the DJ, and as soon as the music started, I took a sip of champagne. Yvonne began dancing, her hips swaying to the rhythm of the music, and I watched her move.

She stopped and stretched her hand out to me. "Come on, let's dance."

"I'm not that good at dancing, but I can do some cheerleader moves. Would that be awkward?" I asked.

She laughed. "Not at all. I love cheerleading vibes." She spread her arms and twirled her waist once more. It took all my willpower not to burst out laughing at her dance steps – she was a terrible dancer.

I stood there, sipping my drink while watching Yvonne dance. I couldn't hide the fact that she was funny, and the way she kept glancing at me, waving her hands and smiling, made me smile too.

"Nice moves, Yvonne," Layla squealed, making her way to join us. "Isn't she hilarious? Look at her go."

I chuckled, emptying the last drop of champagne from my cup. "Yeah, she's quite the happy dancer."

"So, what are you up to? Just going to keep hanging around alone?" Layla laughed and nudged me on the shoulder. "Let's go over there and meet the host."

She grabbed my hand, pulling me in the direction she wanted to go. I wanted to say something, but she stopped and turned to face me. "She's not really into overly friendly greetings, you know. She's a bit pompous."

I rolled my eyes in total disgust. All I wanted at that moment was to leave the party and be back at the dorm, where I could have some peace of mind without anyone telling me about someone I had no intention of knowing.

But as we approached Ximena and Mackenzie, I tried to hide my reluctance to meet her cousin. If I had known or had any warning, even the slightest one, I would have avoided Layla and the party. Little did I know that fate was about to bring me face-to-face with the last person on earth I never wanted to cross paths with.

We reached them, and the first thing I noticed was the third person in their midst – a tall figure with short brown hair, wearing an oxblood polo shirt underneath a fine pair of black jeans, holding onto Mackenzie's hand with a perfect grip.

My eyes widened, not out of excitement or admiration, but because all the blood in my veins suddenly seemed to freeze. The tears I had promised myself I would never shed again threatened to break free, all because of him. Liam.

"Liam," I mumbled, my voice caught in my throat with memories I dared not mention. He let go of Mackenzie's hand in shock, and I stared at him, wondering why.

"Zoey?" he said, his words sounding more like an unsure statement. I noticed he wasn't entirely sure it was me, and I struggled to keep the pain that clenched my fragile heart hidden.

An unnatural smile escaped my lips as I pushed myself forward to greet Ximena, ignoring whatever had just happened. Mackenzie followed me almost immediately, her voice trembling as she called out to me, or perhaps it was just how I perceived things in that moment.

"Do you two know each other?" she asked.

I turned to her, pretending not to understand her question. "Who?" My question came out slowly.

"Liam, my boyfriend. Did you guys know each other?" Mackenzie repeated with a mild smile.

"No, not really," I replied, feigning a smile back at her. "He just happens to resemble someone I knew."

She exhaled, as if a weight had been lifted from her chest, but there was a lingering sense of dissatisfaction in her expression. "He's my..." She began to say something, but was interrupted by Layla.

"Zoey, this is Ximena. Ximena, this is our newest friend, Zoey," Layla introduced.

A faint smile crossed Ximena's lips as she reached forward to shake my hand. I found myself glancing over her shoulder, scanning the environment for any sign of Liam. I spotted him walking out of the hall, his hand casually in his pocket.

"It's nice to meet you, Ximena," I said, the words coming out slowly. It was evident that my mind was elsewhere, but Ximena seemed unfazed by it.

"Hey, you play basketball, right?" Her voice was elegant yet confident.

"Yes, I do. I just joined the university basketball team," I replied, my thoughts drifting back to someone else– Liam.

Thanks for reading please vote comment and share.