•Chapter 26•

"So you think the best place to discuss our project is in the woods," Liam laughed as we walked side by side.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Yes, it's the best place to clear your mind." We maneuvered through a labyrinth of trees, just as I had envisioned the first time Mrs. Becca showed me.

The sunset cast a warm glow, the ocean breeze cooled the air, and the sounds of birds and waves filled the atmosphere. But the most captivating sight was the reflection of the sunset in the water, creating a mesmerizing display.

"Wow, this place is—" Liam started, his eyes widening in awe as he took in the surroundings. He turned to me, his appreciation evident. "Nature is indeed beautiful."

"I thought so too, the first time I came here," I replied, slipping off my high-heeled boots and sinking into the sand. I watched as Liam followed suit, sitting beside me and setting his bag down.

"How did you find out about this place?" Liam asked, kicking off his shoes and settling in.

"From a friend," I answered, securing my hair into a messy bun.

"This is the perfect place to brainstorm our project," Liam remarked, a boyish grin spreading across his face. We spent the evening planning our project, and I shared my idea for the app's name with Liam.

As the sun finally dipped below the horizon, the landscape was bathed in moonlight, casting a serene glow. The gentle breeze rustled the grass, and the rhythmic sound of waves crashing against the shore filled the air.

Liam stood up and peeled off his shirt. "Let's go for a swim," he suggested, extending his hand to me. With a smile, I let him pull me to my feet, noticing the moonlight dancing off his bare chest.

My breath hitched as the moonlight cast its silvery glow on his skin. "I can't swim," I lied, shaking my head.

"I'll teach you, come on." Liam smiled, removing his socks.

Nervously, I agreed. "Okay, fine. Let's do that." I grabbed his wrist, feeling my heart fluttering. I quickly removed my jeans, grateful that my long top covered my underwear. Liam held my hand as we approached the edge of the lake, where a small stream ran through.

Water gently lapped onto the sand, accompanied by the soothing sounds of a nightingale singing nearby. I leaned forward, watching the water flow. It was a bit deeper than the pond I used to swim in as a child.

A few meters away, rocks protruded from under the water, creating a small oasis. The soft breeze tousled my hair, and Liam's intense gaze locked with mine.

"See, I told you I can teach you how to swim," he said, coming up to me.

As he pulled me close, I felt the warmth of his body against mine. His breath was heavy, and our foreheads touched. His eyes seemed fixed on my lips.

In the moonlight, every detail was illuminated. I reached out to brush a strand of hair from his face, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks. My heart raced as Liam's hand gently touched my arm.

"You are beautiful, Zoey. I think I'm falling for you," he confessed, his voice low and sincere.

My mind raced, overwhelmed by his confession. "Are you okay?" he asked, noticing my distraction.

I struggled to form coherent thoughts. "I want you to be my girlfriend, Zoey," Liam declared.

His words hung in the air, and my mind spun. "I... I don't hate you anymore," I stammered, surprised by my own admission.

"I know you don't," Liam said, moving closer. "You brought me to this wonderful place. It means you don't hate me."

As he spoke, his hands cupped my face, and sincerity sparkled in his eyes. "Zoey, I love you. You make my pain ease."

My heart pounded, torn between conflicting emotions. "Yes," I said, shaking my head and backing away. "I think... I need some time to think."

Liam's expression fell, disappointment evident. "I understand," he said softly, stepping back. "Take all the time you need."

As I watched him, I realized I needed clarity away from the allure of the moonlit scene. Liam's confession had left me reeling, and I needed space to sort through my feelings.

LIAM INTERTWINED our hands as we walked to the car, sending tingles down my palm. I was at a loss for words, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

As he dropped me off at home, Liam kissed me chastely. "Goodnight, love," he murmured before pulling away and driving off into the night.

Entering the house, I found Dad sitting on the couch, his attention on the television. "Oh, here she is," he greeted, sounding relieved. "Your driver told me everything. How's your project going?" He paused, waiting for my response.

I nodded, still processing everything, and Dad gave me a reassuring smile, patting my shoulder. "I know you'll do great on that."

In my room, I lay in the darkness, unable to calm my racing thoughts. The events of the evening replayed in my mind incessantly. Sighing, I tried to relax and sleep, but my head ached with the weight of it all. Picking up my phone, I found three messages from Gemma and one from Liam.

Gemma
I noticed you didn't go with your car, how's the project going?

Gemma
Did you go somewhere with Liam?

Gemma
I'm about to go to bed, Goodnight bestie.

Liam
Thinking of you, the best part of today is spending it with you. Honey.

With a deep sigh, I dropped the phone on the nightstand table.

Thanks for reading please vote comment and share.