•Chapter 30•

GEMMA ASSISTED ME to the car, both of us drenched to the bone. "Are you hurt? How's your leg?" Gemma asked worriedly as she examined my injured knee. "We should go to the hospital. Come on." She pulled me toward the car.

After Josh broke up with me, I swore to myself never to fall in love again. But when I met Liam, things changed. I loved him so much. And that was the problem. I couldn't afford to fall in love again. Falling in love meant being hurt, it meant letting someone else hold the power to my emotions. Liam's disappearance created dismay in my life, shattering my broken heart.

The next day at school, I felt empty, detached. I couldn't concentrate; my mind kept wandering off to thoughts I desperately wanted to forget. My head spun with countless questions and possibilities, and I just wanted this to be over.

How could he just disappear? Was he kidnapped? Did his cruel father have anything to do with it?

"Zoey," someone whispered. "Zoey!"

I cleared the questions hovering over my head and turned to Gemma, who had an expression of concern. I shook my head. "Sorry, what is it?" I asked quietly.

She sighed. "You don't seem okay. Stop thinking too much. The police are constantly searching for him. I'm sure they'll find him."

"I wasn't thinking about anyone, I was just..."

"Miss Hughes and Miss Browns, is there any reason why you're disrupting my class with your whispers?" Mrs. Bennett asked sternly, glancing from one side to the other and then settling her gaze on me. "Please refrain from it," she commanded before turning back to the lesson.

"Your final exams will be commencing as from next week, so I expect you all to prepare well and show the same enthusiasm as you did this year," she continued speaking. "That includes extra attention on homework." She announced.

As soon as the bell rang, the rest of the class erupted with loud conversations. Everyone began packing their stuff and grabbing their bags. After gathering my books, I headed for the doors. Before I reached them, someone stopped me and placed his hand on mine, halting me in place.

I turned around to see Tony, his face full of concern. "Is it true Liam is missing?" he asked.

I gulped hard. "Yeah, we think so." Tony ran a hand through his brown hair as he gazed down. I continued. "The police are looking out for him. I'm sure they'll find him soon."

Tony nodded, lowering his gaze. "I hope they find him soon. I kinda have a bad feeling about his dad having something to do with it."

I gave him a reassuring smile, wanting the conversation to end. I didn't want to talk about the pain of not knowing his whereabouts.

We walked down the hallway, and for once in my life, I didn't care about what others had to say. I had a lot to take in, and I needed some time alone to sort through all these emotions swirling inside me.

"I'm sure we'll find him," Tony assured me, smiling lightly. I forced a smile as he walked away further down the hallway, his eyes lingering in mine for just a second longer than usual before turning around. I took a deep breath and looked down at the floor, taking each step slowly as if in fear my body would fail me and break.

AFTER BASKETBALL PRACTICE, I sat on one of the benches outside the locker room, watching everyone else get ready to go home. I rummaged my bag for my cellphone when suddenly someone's shadow fell over it. Looking up, I saw Mrs. Lanai standing there in front of me, a little smile playing across her lips as she took a seat next to me.

I smiled back slightly and raised my eyebrow quizzically. She seemed relieved, not sad. Something didn't seem right.

"Can I sit down?" she asked hesitantly, gesturing toward the empty bench beside me with a nod of her head.

"Of course." I moved to make space on the bench for her.

"You seem lost in thought. I know you care so much for Liam, but you shouldn't let emotions get the best of you," she said, placing a hand on my knee.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I wonder what happened to Liam. I feel like he's in danger or something," I started to tear up slightly, wiping a couple of tears off my cheek. "Why didn't he tell me anything? Why isn't his phone going through? Did something happen to him? Is he dead?" I questioned, my hands trembling with anxiety.

"Zoey, don't let this hurt you too much. I'm sure the cops will find him soon," she said. "I want you to focus more on your academics, get into college, and forget about your problems."

I was tempted to ask her if she no longer cared about him or if she knew where he was. She pulled me close to herself for comfort, resting her hand on my shoulder. I closed my eyes, relaxing against her warm embrace.

That evening before I went to bed, I swiped on my telegram to check for Liam's last message to me. It read: "I miss you. Love, Liam." I stared at my phone, wondering if it meant anything. I tossed the phone onto the bed, pulling the blanket over my head with the thought of forgetting about Liam.

I stood up from the bed and plodded toward my laptop, which I kept on the table next to a pile of books I needed to read for my upcoming exams. I turned on my laptop and saw I had received one email today. I clicked on it quickly with high hopes.

"Application accepted. You've been admitted to our prestigious college. Congratulations!"

My jaw dropped. I had gotten into Columbia University after months of searching and trying. I guess my luck had finally changed for once. I picked up my phone and texted Gemma.

Zoey:
Hey, Gem. I just received an email from Columbia University. I've been accepted.

Gemma:
Wow, Zoey. I'm so happy for you!

Zoey:
I'm so happy I can't wait to break the news to Ashley. She's going to scream out of envy.

Gemma:
That's all she can do. You're living the dream. She has to admit the truth: you're smart.

I sent her a laughing emoji.

Gemma:
Don't worry about Liam. He'll be fine. We'll all find him, trust me!

Zoey:
I'm over him now. Mrs. Lanai suggested I do so.

Gemma:
Why would she say such to you? Does she know where he is?

Zoey:
I don't know, but her reaction today clearly showed she does. She must have some idea. On second thought, I think he was kidnapped by his fugitive dad, since there isn't any news regarding him being caught.

Gemma:
I'm confused myself. If only I had a clue. So? What do you plan to do from now on?

Zoey:
I'm not sure, but I'm still excited I'll have a chance to study, so I plan on going straight to studying. The whole situation between Liam and me isn't going anywhere. I need to move on and find something else.

Gemma:
Okay, I believe you. I gotta run, I need to drop by the store. My mother called wanting to buy something for my grandma. You gonna meet up tomorrow?

Zoey:
Of course, I'll be there.

I shut down my laptop and placed it on the table next to me. I laid down on my eyes tightly, I really hoped the police were actually doing something. I hope they find him soon.

Thanks for reading