S I X

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

The deep silence of the Union Hall left room for even a feather to echo. The four elements sat each in their respective places, all with similar expressions; hesitant, worried, weary.

Melisandre was straight as ever, staring at a fixed point on the table. Dominic had his elbows resting on the table and his chin on his fists. Eddard had one elbow resting on one arm of the chair and held his chin with it while the other simply rested on the other arm. And Coriane had her head in her hands, every now and then running them through her hair but always returning to their original position to hide the despair on her face.

"I agree," spoke the Caeili, breaking the silence, managing to attract the attention of the other three.
"What?" Coriane asked incredulously.
"I agree with Heda, Skaikru must pay for what they have done," he spat with his usual frivolous rage.
"And since when, may I ask, have you been so interested in what happens to Trikru?" The chestnut folded her arms, piercing the man with her gaze.
"Since my people are also at risk from those savages, not to mention I don't even want to think what would happen if they discovered the power of the forest."
"Oh, you're worried about me now too?" She asked with bitter amusement.
"You are my leader, Terra, it is my duty to worry about your safety," even a deaf man could have identified the contempt, sarcasm, and falsehood in his tone.

Before Coriane could reply, Melisandre, in her calm, elegant tone of voice, spoke.

"Let us leave the quarrels for another day, now is the time to discuss a matter of the utmost seriousness."
"I agree, it will do us no good to fight among ourselves," Dominic said.
"I don't understand what we should discuss, it's already decided, isn't it? The Commander gave the order, and even if Coriane doesn't carry it out herself, someone else will."
"In that you are wrong, Eddard. If the Union decides to oppose the Commander's plans, they will have no choice but to desist," the platinum-haired woman spoke, stealing a small nod from Coriane.

The clans were all different from each other, but the one thing that each and every one of them shared was respect for the Spirits, and that respect extended to their emissaries, the Elementa responsible for representing their deities. They were born and raised in a clan, but when chosen, the Elementa ceased to be part of any group and became something much more than that. They did not belong to the political circle of any clan, they were not even under the Coalition, they obeyed and answered to no one but their Gods, and, should they disapprove of the leaders' decisions, their word was the final dictate. It had been 50 years since someone had last messed with the Spirits, and absolutely no one was willing to test their benevolence once more.

"They deserve it! They destroyed an entire village, a village of your people!" Eddard turned from looking at Melisandre to looking at her.

Dominic might be fire, but at that moment, the Caeli's eyes were living, uncontrolled flames.