F O U R . T W O

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Arriving at the place where 300 of her people, 300 brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers and friends; had been burned to death, was probably one of the hardest things she had ever had to do and see in her life.

Coriane swallowed hard and refrained from looking at the skeletons and ashes, trying to simply focus on the big metallic thing in front of her.

Behind her, Odeya couldn't stifle a gasp, and Krista, though perturbed herself, had to help the girl by grabbing her arms to keep her from collapsing.

The group stopped once Clarke had reached the metallic ship, and now all, filled with uncertainty, resentment, sadness and disturbance, stood waiting for the girl to make any mistake, any mistake at all, so that she would have an excuse to claim revenge for those 300 lives that burned in that inferno, plus the 18 killed on Tondc.

Clarke led them through the ship to a hatch and climbed through it. As soon as it opened, Coriane could hear cries from the other side, and a desperation and desire to get to the source of the screams had her climbing the stairs with extreme speed despite her armour. Once they reached the top, the first thing she saw almost made her fall down the stairs, and she would have, if it hadn't been for Aren and his discreet but strong grip on her hips.
She finished the entire climb without taking her eyes off her brother's chained body, and soon life began to flash in front of her eyes.

It was one thing to imagine him dead, to consider him dead for having been declared a traitor and, on top of that, captured by the Reapers, but it was quite another thing to see him herself, to smell his blood, to see how his chest was not moving, to see him with his eyes closed, as if he were asleep, but knowing that, from that dream, he would not wake up.

Naga clung to her neck tightly, not to kill her, but as if she was trying to protect her, to shelter her, to embrace her Terra. Outside, the cries of Gus and Gala could be heard. The forest felt Terra's sadness, and it was crying with her.

Her throat began to burn and her eyes began to burn, she felt like she was going to throw up everything she had eaten that week, and a terrible memory came to her: the death of her parents was as present as if it had been yesterday. She hadn't been strong enough then not to cry, not to behave like the warrior they had raised her to be. And yet again, at that very moment, she doubted she could contain herself as well.

Lincoln was her brother. Her brother. The one who had lifted her up when the two of them had been left alone in that cruel world, the one who had never once in her life underestimated her.

Just as it was clear to her that if she ever lost Jensen, Aren, Krista, or Odeya, another part of her would die, in that moment, she could feel the wrenching pressure in her heart, the realization that another part of her had died on that very ground.