S E V E N . T H R E E

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

In the Great Hall the elements of water, fire and air were already gathered and seated in their places when she arrived. Her footsteps echoed more pronouncedly in the huge place, but with each step she took, she was almost certain that the echo was being made by the incessant hammering of her heart.
Once she was in front of the table and her own chair, the other three present rose and inclined their heads in the direction of the leader Elementa. Coriane merely nodded and sat down.

"You came," she turned to Eddard, who sat across from her with an expression similar to her own; full of disdain.
"Your message was quite clear, Terra," Coriane, in the absence of the man's presence at the last few meetings, felt the need to send him a message that made clear her position as leader and the things she could do to him if he did not show up. "And Calion was clear as well."

That sentence aroused some curiosity in her, but she didn't bother to show it; soon, the Caeli would be forced to share that explanation.

"Balance," she said after a few minutes of silence and holding Eddard's hard eyes with her own. "That is what we are, that is what we exist for. It is our responsibility to maintain the balance of this land as our forefathers could not. And when that balance is broken, it is also our duty to take the price."

Neither Ignis nor Aqua, it was Caeli who snorted a laugh.

"Finally, that's the first time I'd heard you speak like a Terra."
"It's not what you say that interests me, Eddard. It is Calion's word I seek, the word of all our guardians," at the last she turned from looking only at the man to look at the other two as well.
"Do you want to know what Calion says?" Eddard raised an eyebrow and leaned his arms on the table, looking her straight in the eye with that hidden hatred within him. "Dare et accipere."

Take and give.

Coriane raised her head slightly, holding Eddard's gaze for a moment before turning to meet Dominic's eyes. The man, who had been quite focused on the fiery symbol inscribed on the table in front of him, turned to look at her as well.

"Dare et accipere."

A small, almost imperceptible sigh escaped her at his words. Her gaze softened just slightly as she nodded to the man before turning to the woman. Melisandre had not taken her eyes from her, but unlike Eddard, she looked at Coriane with compassion and pride.

"Dare et accipere."

A second sigh escaped her. Those last words sealed everything.
In her head, the murmurs went on and on, growing louder and louder, almost clouding all sound from outside. They repeated the same three words over and over and over again. They were asking. To take, to give. They were begging.