E I G H T . T W O

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"You look tired," Aren said, standing in her doorframe.

After Gustus' execution, Coriane had decided to get away from everything and everyone and simply lock herself in her cabin. She hadn't been able to sleep, she had simply stayed up reading one of the books that Lincoln gave her after he found it while exploring, trying to occupy her mind with something else and clear her head a little. She looked up from the so-called "jungle book" to look at her friend.

"Says the one who was poisoned," Coriane smiled sideways, sitting down on her bed.
"Yeah well, but at least I was almost dead enough to sleep," laughed the boy, stepping fully into the cabin and closing the door behind him.
"What happened?" She asked as he sat down next to her, hoping he was going to give her news of what was going on outside those four walls.
"Skaikru came up with a very good suicide plan and they decided to infiltrate one of their own into Mount Weather," Aren threw himself on the bed with a groan.
"Who?"
"That guy who seems to be obsessed with you... Bellamy? I don't know. Oh, and Lincoln's going to take him, I think he's going to pretend to be a Reaper again."

The air was trapped in Coriane's lungs and she didn't know what to say or even what to think.
She had been ignoring Lincoln and treating him like a traitor all this time, she couldn't now just come out and tell him he couldn't do something as stupid as that and ask him not to do it.

"You're very quiet."
"No. I was just thinking," she shook her head, concentrating on the way Astrid's huge chest was slowly rising and falling as the feline rested quietly in the floor.
"Thinking about what," Aren sat back down on the bed.
"Things."
"What things," insisted the boy.
"What's the matter with you, Aren? Why so many questions?" Looking at him in mock annoyance, Coriane frowned.
"Ann, do you want to play this little game for a little longer or shall we skip straight to the end?" He just looked at her amused with one eyebrow raised. When Coriane snorted and rolled her eyes, he laughed and took that as a pass to keep talking. "I understand how angry you are with Lincoln, I'm angry myself, we all are. But it's normal that you still care about him, he's your brother, the person who raised you, that's not easy to forget. And if by any chance, you know, hypothetically speaking, you wanted to go and say goodbye, no one here would stop you, no one would dare."

There was a moment of silence in which Coriane thought things over, but just as she was about to deny everything, Astrid got up from the floor. As she sat up, the ligeress was well beyond her height. She yawned, showing her sharp, deadly teeth. Anyone would be intimidated by such an animal opening its huge mouth so close to their face, but Coriane simply smiled and frowned at the feline's breath. After that, Astrid simply stared into her human's eyes, as if she was telling her something without words, and even if Aren didn't understand what, Coriane of course did.