E I G H T

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"How's the poison going?" Lexa asked.

Coriane glanced sideways at the Commander, and preparing an answer in her head, she took a sip of the water in her glass and then looked at the other woman at the end of the table.

"The poison goes...well," she nodded, gently setting the glass down on the table once more.
"Coriane, I need more information than 'well'. I need a number of days," the young Commander had her elbows on the table and her eyes fixed on Terra.
"Lexa, you're asking me to develop a new type of poison, I'm sorry for the delay, but it's to be expected since we haven't used anything like this before," she looked up from her plate and back at her friend, her face as serious as the Commander's.
"Mhh, I thought Terra's efficiency was impeccable," the blond man, a few seats away from Coriane, spoke.

Coriane clenched her jaw discreetly, not looking at the boy who probably had a stupid grin on his face.

She could feel Aren's irritation beside her, the boy was practically sweating contempt for the blond and debating the many ways he could use the eating utensils to stab him.

"My efficiency has nothing to do with it, I'd be happy to arrange a personal demonstration for you, in case you've forgotten," with a fake smile she looked at Isaac.

The blond let out a chuckle as he shook his head and turned his attention back to his plate as if the two had shared an old joke between old friends.

As much as she hated these dinners, Coriane was always forced to attend. Being the leader of the Elementa, her presence was required at every social event the Court demanded.

The only good thing about the situation was that, being her second-in-command, Aren was welcome to attend, and Astrid, since no one dared to tell the ligeress or her mistress that she could not be present, was always at her side, quietly eating the fresh pieces of meat served to her.

After eating the last bite on her plate, she looked at Aren to confirm that he was as ready as she was to leave the dinner. The boy was practically begging her with his eyes to get the hell out of there, and with an amused smile, Coriane agreed with her friend, rising from her seat and drawing the attention of the flamekeepers, councillors and other members of the Court.

"We need to get back to Tondc so we can continue working on the project early tomorrow morning."

Lexa nodded, unwilling to deny Terra anything.

"Remind me why I always agree to come to these things?" Aren asked her once they were outside the Polis headquarters building.
"You never agree, I demand that you do."
"Fair enough."

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Night had fallen as the two grounders rode in the direction of their village. The darkness was accompanied by the sound of nocturnal animals that sensed Terra's presence nearby, howling or whispering their greetings of respect for the woman.