Chapter 59

**Alex’s POV**

“Al.”

“Wait,” I hold my finger up and finish reading the line I’m on before marking my page and setting the book down, “yeah?”

Fred sits down and lowers his voice.

“We’re having the first meeting tonight,” he says. I sit up, trying not to act too excited.

“Where? What time?” I ask, keeping my voice low.

“The Room of Requirement,” Fred answers, “after dinner, about seven.”

“This is going to be awesome,” I squeal, “I can’t wait!”

“Me either,” he grins, “but if you keep carrying on like that you’ll give us away!”

“Sorry,” I say, forcing my face to be serious. He kisses me lightly on the forehead and disappears with George. I try to keep reading my book, but I’m far too excited. I stare at the page for a few minutes before dropping it and running up to the dormitory where the other girls are talking excitedly about the meeting.

“I hope we can practise stunning, I’ve never been good at that,” Alicia says.

“I want to learn some good jinxes,” I say, flopping down on Felicity’s bed, “for when the Slytherins step out of line.”

“Do you think any Slytherins will come?” Sophina asks quietly.

“I doubt it,” Scarlett scowls, “I wouldn’t trust any of them not to go straight to Umbridge.”

“Well,” Harry says, “this is the place we’ve found for practice sessions and you’ve, er, obviously found it okay.”

“It’s fantastic!” A girl from the Ravenclaw Quidditch team says.

“Hey, Harry, what’s this stuff?” a boy asks from near the back.

“Dark detectors,” Harry answers, “basically they show when Dark Wizards or enemies are around, but you don’t want to rely on them too much, they can be fooled. Well, I’ve been thinking about the sort of stuff we ought to do first and, er, what, Hermione?”

“I think we ought to elect a leader,” Hermione says.

“Harry’s leader,” the Ravenclaw girl says.

“Yes, but I think we ought to vote on it properly. It makes it formal and gives him authority. So, everyone who thinks Harry ought to be out leader?”

I raise my hand along with everyone else. Harry blushes.

“Er, right, thanks,” he stammers, “and- What, Hermione?”

“I also think we should have a name,” Hermione says, “it would promote a feeling of team spirit and unity, don’t you think?”

“Can we be the Anti-Umbridge League?” Angelina asks hopefully.

“Or the Ministry of Magic are Morons Group?” Fred ads. Hermione frowns at him while everyone else laughs.

“I was thinking,” she says, “more of a name that didn’t tell everyone what we’re up to, so we can refer to it safely outside of meetings.”

“The Defence Association?” the Ravenclaw girl suggests, “the DA for short, so nobody knows what we’re talking about?”

“Yeah, the DA’s good,” Ginny says, “only, let’s make it stand for Dumbledore’s Army, because that’s the Ministry’s worst fear, isn’t it?”

“All in favour of the DA?” Hermione asks, kneeling to count the hands, “that’s a majority! Motion passed.”

“Right, shall we get to practicing then?” Harry asks, “I was thinking the first thing we should do is Expelliarmus, you know, the Disarming Charm. I know it’s pretty basic, but I’ve found it really useful-”