Chapter 74

**Alex’s POV**

On the day of the wedding I wake to the sound of people running up and down the stairs, doors opening and closing and cars scrunching on the gravel out the front. I roll onto my stomach and hide my face in my pillow for a moment before it becomes difficult to breathe.

“ALEX! BREAKFAST!”

I groan and drag myself out of bed. I step out into the hallway and see all of my brothers flocking in the living room. Mum is running around with half her hair in curlers, one foot in a slipper, the other in a gum boot. Michael is sitting on a lounge with what looks like a glass of whiskey.

“Morning,” I announce myself, moving through the throng of people into the kitchen. I pour myself a bowl of cereal and sit down to eat it.

“Alex!” Mum flies in, “what’re you doing?”

“Having breakfa-“

“There’s not time!” Mum exclaims, “the beautician will be here in fifteen minutes to do your nails, hair and make-up!”

“So, why don’t I have time for breakfast?”

Mum makes an exasperated sound.

“Have you had a shower?”
“Right before I went to bed.”

“GO AND HAVE A SHOWER!”

I pick up my bowl and carry it through to my bedroom. As I close the door I can hear Mum barking orders about ironing and clearing the lounge room. I scoff my cereal and have a quick shower, getting dressed into jeans and a zip up hoodie.

“JUST PUT IT IN A PILE ON MY BED!” Mum yells from down the hall, “THEN WILL YOU ALL GET OUT OF HERE! ALEXANDRA!!”

I walk down to the lounge room. The boys are all leaving and Mum is standing there with two women dressed all in white with pencil line eyebrows.

“You’re the flower girl?” one of them asks, “Aren’t you a bit old?”

“Exactly what I said,” I mutter. They set up a curtain and make me lie down and begin plucking and prodding at me. Soon I’m stinging all over and smell like lavender and apples. I have neat nails and fake eyelashes. My hair is curly and has small, white flowers scattered through it.

“She’s finished,” one woman says as they stand back and survey me.

“Just in time,” Mum says, bursting in, “we need to leave now. Go get changed.”

I hurry off to my room and put the dress on. It’s not my favourite colour, but it doesn’t look too bad. The shoes are pink ballet slippers, which I don’t mind. Better than the heels the bridesmaids are wearing. I tuck my wand into the dress, just in case.

I hurry out to Mum who is wearing a dark grey dress and has her hair in a bun. She hands me a basket full of pink, red and white rose petals.

“Car now,” she says, rushing out the door. I follow her, locking the door and hoping Tahlia won’t make a scene when she sees the dress.

We arrive at the church before Tahlia and the bridesmaids. Dad goes and takes a seat up the front. I can see Michael and his groomsmen, Tyler, William, Edward and a friend of his, who I think is called Toby, standing at the altar. The rest of my brothers are in the first two rows of seats with the rest of my family and Mike’s friends.

“Alex, they’re here,” Mum says, “I have to go, good luck!”

She hurries off and I feel my mouth go dry. I turn around to see Tahlia climbing out of the car, surrounded by her bridesmaids. Her father is standing to the side, looking bored. Tahlia sweeps up into the church while the girls arrange themselves in order. Tahlia tells one of them to get her coffee, claiming she’s worn out from preparing them all.