Chapter 45

**Alex’s POV**

“Is Scarlett coming with us to Hogsmeade?” I ask Carma as we line up to have our names checked off.

“Yeah, she was just saying goodbye to Bryce,” Carma replies, “she should be back soon.”

“We’ll just wait here for her,” Angelina says, “it’s so cold! I hope it’s warm next weekend for the first task.”

“Not likely,” George says, wrapping his scarf more tightly around his neck.

“Here she comes,” Carma says. Scarlett is running up the grounds, her face flushed and her eyes glowing. I watch is amazement as she jumps on George, wrapping her legs around his waist and kissing him with gusto.

“Whoa, what?” Angelina asks, “Scarlett, cheating is so not cool.”

Carma and Fred are watching them with smiles on their faces.

“There’s something you lot aren’t telling us,” I accuse them. Scarlett pulls away from George and looks around at us.

“George and I have been dating since… When, honey?” she asks George. He thinks for a moment.

“The day after Alex and I kissed,” he replies, “so, about a year, I guess.”

“What about Bryce?” Angelina asks.

“He’s our cousin,” Scarlett says, “he’s got a social disorder, he has trouble making friends and he gets teased lots, so I just let everyone think we were dating. He’s particularly attached to me, so it sort of just works.”

“Hang on, you’ve been secretly dating all this time?” I ask, astonished, “I thought you hated each other!”

“No, when we’d storm off and say we needed time away from each other, it was usually the opposite,” George says, wrapping his arms around Scarlett and kissing her on the neck. Scarlett leans back into him, putting her hands over his on her stomach.

“Wow,” Angelina says, looking surprised, “wow.”

“And you two knew?” I ask Fred and Carma.

“Guilty as charged,” Fred nods. Carma nods too.

“We made them promise they wouldn’t tell anyone,” Scarlett says.

“So, can we do a, like, triple date?” I ask, linking my hand through Fred’s. Scarlett laughs.

“Sure,” she says, “sorry singles, you’re on your own.”

As we walk down towards Hogsmeade I can’t help staring at Scarlett and George. I’d always thought they would make a cute couple, but I was resigned to the fact that they would never be together and now they’re gazing into each other’s eyes and kissing!