Chapter 85

**Author's Note**
I should just preface this by clarifying that HeartbeatDream wasn't dissing my writing in the last chapter, she was just making innuendo jokes that was off putting while I was writing. They were actually funny, despite being distracting. She's actually one of the most supportive people of my writing and I definitely wouldn't be here without her. . . Anyway, back to the story :P
________________________________________________________________

**Alex's POV**

The day after boxing day I still haven't heard from the Weasleys. I'm sick with worry, but I know going back would just put them in more danger. I decide I can't stand another night in this damp, cold motel room, so as soon as the shops open I check out and haul my butt down to the camping store. I buy the smallest, cheapest tent there, knowing I can expand it, then look at the other camping things. I'd been camping a few times as a kid and loved it, so I immediately wanted to buy everything. I knew, however, that I wouldn't need it all, as magic would suffice for most things, so I bought a small backpack (again, expandable), a sleeping bag, some hiking boots and thick socks, some gloves, a beanie and a huge, thick jacket.

"Planning on being out for a while?" the cashier asks while he's scanning my items.

"I guess so," I say, hoping he doesn't ask too many questions. He nods.

"There's been a few people like that," he says, "couple of little groups, you know."

My heart is thumping. It could be pure coincidence, but if muggle-borns who are on the run are coming here, then the Ministry could be watching the place. I'd better get out of here.

"Um, I think a guy followed me here," I lie, "is there a back entrance?"

He raises his eyebrows.

"Few of 'em have asked that too," he says. I feel myself go numb. I casually pick up my purchases and pretend to see some pants on sale. I pick up a pair.

"Can I try these on?" I ask. He nods and shows me to the dressing room. I shut the door and stand on tip-toe to see over the door. I point my wand at the opposite wall, causing the display of boots to come tumbling down. I hear the cashier swear loudly and see him run over there. While he's distracted I pick up my things, unlock the door and disapparate.

I'm hit in the face by a cold wind and a flurry of snow blowing my hair across my face. I shudder and look around. I'm in a marshland. I can see everything around me for miles. All I see is more marshlands. Unless someone is invisible, which is possible, there's no one else out here.

I set up my tent and crawl inside. As it is I barely fit - it's a children's tent - but I expand the inside and soon enough it's big enough for me to stretch out. I set out my sleeping bag and other belongings. I expand the inside of the backpack so I can go and get some clothes and food.

I climb out of the tent, my wand held in front of me. I decide to avoid apparation unless necessary, since it's detectable. With my new boots and jacket on, I set out on  long hike, hoping there's a village in this direction. I hike for hours, until the sun is high in the sky and finally reach the end of the marsh to be confronted by heavily wooded forest. I sigh deeply and continue my walk through the woods.

Luckily, although the woods are thick, it's not far to the other side. When I emerge from the tree line I see that I'm on the top of a hill. Nestled at the bottom is a small town. Relieved, I begin the walk down, trying to avoid rabbit holes and the thought of climbing back up the hill. I hate hills.

The town is busy, which is good, because it gives me some crowd cover. I go into a clothes store and it's difficult to keep a sense of urgency as I'm surrounded by pretty clothes. I also have to think of practicality, which is okay since my tomboyishness hasn't been completely squashed. I get lots of warm clothes, jeans and underwear. I pick a pair of fingerless gloves and a cute owl beanie. At the supermarket I stock up on canned foods that will keep for ages. And some chocolate.

Okay. . . Lots of chocolate. . .

And tea. Because tea is good for the body, mind and soul. Seriously, there is no problem that can't be solved by tea.

When I leave the sun is setting. I hurry up the hill, panting, and reach the top in time to see the sun sink below the horizon.

Bad news.

"Lumos," I breathe, igniting my wand tip. I hurry through the trees, all my senses on high alert.

I freeze, hearing branches snapping ahead of me.

"Knox."

The woods plunge into darkness and the footsteps coming towards me falter for a moment. Then they quicken in pace. I duck behind a huge tree and hold as still as I can.

"Hello?"

A soft, male voice calls out to me. I don't move.

"Hello? Is there someone there?"

He stumbles past me and in the dim light I see that it's a dark haired boy, probably only a little older than me and very skinny.

"Don't move," I say, poking my wand into his back, "who are you?"

"I'm Dane," he says quietly, "you're not a death eater or a snatcher, so you must be on the run too."

"What do you mean?" I lie. He shakes his head.

"You know what I mean," he says, "you didn't turn yourself into the Ministry, that's why you still have your wand."

"How do I know you don't work for the Ministry?" I ask suspiciously. He laughs dryly.

"Would I be wandering the woods without a wand if I was?"

"Accio wand!"

Nothing happens.

"Okay," I say, lowering my wand, "what's your story?"

"Same as all the other muggle-borns," he says, "wand taken, no where to go. I was travelling with another couple of guys, but we walked into a group of snatchers and got separated. Who're you with?"

 "No one," I shrug, "I'm alone."

He raises his eyebrows.

"You're new to this on-the-run thing, aren't you?" he asks, "so, do you want to pair up for a while?"

______________________________________________________________________

Daaaaaaaane!!! Yeah, so, what do you guys think about Dane? Should Alex trust him? Should she go with him?! DRAMA!!! Yeah, I'm overtired and a bit silly right now, ignore me. . . Hope you enjoyed the chapter, vote, comment, let me know what you think of this new maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan ;)