Chapter 42

**Alex’s POV**

“I’ve been going through some fashion magazines,” Grandma tells me as we drive into London, “so that I know what’s in fashion. I had no idea I’d been dressing you years out of date, but no need to worry now! I’m an expert.”

“Right,” I nod, staring out the window.

“Alexandra, I know you’re not thrilled to be spending time with me,” Grandma sighs, “I know you’d rather be off with your friends, but I do miss you and you’re the only one of my grandchildren-”

“Who’s a girl, I know,” I reply.

“I was going to say who inherited my gift, actually,” Grandma says.

“What gift?” I ask, my tone bored. Grandma chuckles.

“You can’t tell me that after five years at Hogwarts you haven’t figured it out,” she says. I turn to stare at her.

“You know about Hogwarts?”

“Darling, of course,” she say, waving some pedestrians across the road, “I did my time there.”

“Wait, you’re a witch?” I ask, astonished.

“Of course!” she laughs, “My mother was a Greengrass. I was disowned when I married a half-blood, of course. Shamed the family. But I was happy.”

I stare at my Grandmother. I’ve heard of the Greengrass family, of course, but I had never dreamed I could be related to them!

“But that means you were a pure blood,” I say, “which means I’m not just a muggleborn… I’m a…”

“You’re a muggle born,” Grandma says, “and you should be proud! All this pureblood nonsense…”

“But, if you’re a witch, then wouldn’t you know other witches?” I ask, eagerly.

“Well, I know your young Mr Weasley,” Grandma says, shooting me a sly smile, “I was Head Girl when his mother and father started Hogwarts. Didn’t have too much to do with them, being in Slytherin-”

“You were a Slytherin?!” I exclaim.

“Of course!” she laughs, “didn’t I tell you my mother was a Greengrass? And you’ll have followed suit, of course.”

“I’m in Gryffindor,” I tell her. She raises an eyebrow at me.

“Well, I suppose all houses have their merits,” she says testily, “now, let’s find you a dress.”

We walk into a huge dress store and an assistant comes running over.