6

Carter's birthday...

Rowan and Amira arrived early to help set up for the party. Upon their arrival, Nina just barely acknowledged Rowan before she grabbed Amira's hand and dragged her off.

"I've been waiting on you," she voiced excitedly.

"Good afternoon, Nina," Amira smiled. Nina only shrieked in return, quickly showing Amira into the kitchen.

"I know people get fancy for the first birthday, but Carter is barely walking. We thought about going to an indoor kid's world or a jungle gym, or something of that nature, but Carter is still small and he frightens easily. Adrian said it would be best to do something at the house. Do you think it's not extravagant enough?"

"Well, I—"

"Wait," Nina interrupted. "Silly me. Let me show you everything first, and then you can give me your opinion, okay?"

Nina didn't wait for Amira's response and started dragging her around the kitchen, showing her all the catered food and desserts. The party was ocean-themed, so the decor was mostly 'Finding Nemo.'

Nina then took Amira outside to the ginormous party tent. The right side of the tent encompassed a small inflatable bouncy house, a ball pit, a mini obstacle course, and various toys—all in an enclosure. And on the other side was the seating area—fully furnished with tables and chairs. All of the materials and equipment in the soft playground were considered baby-proof.

"So, what do you think?" Nina could barely contain herself. "I have more balloons coming, but other than that, everything is finished."

"More balloons?" Amira was astounded. Nina sure went all out for her baby, which had Amira confused as to why she would question if the party was extravagant enough.

"I love parties, and I love decorations even more. Do you like it?"

"I'm still stuck on the more balloons, but yes. I love it."

"Yay, me too," Nina clapped her hands.

"But I thought you needed my help setting up. It doesn't look like you need help with anything."

"Oh, right. I might've told a tiny white lie. Adrian hired some people to set up everything. I only said I needed help because I wanted you to be the first to see everything."

"I should've known," Amira shook her head. Nina let out the cutest giggle before continuing her grand tour.

"We rented the tent just in case the weather didn't hold up, but it's turning out to be a nice day—not too hot and not too cold."

"Yeah, it's perfect," Amira added.

"Isn't it?" Nina sighed. "But finger's crossed it stays that way. Will you come with me to wake Carter up from his nap?"

"Of course, what else will I do for the next two hours?"

Nina and Amira then made their way into the house and up the stairs. When Nina opened Carter's door and flicked on the light, she did a double take when she saw he was already standing up in his crib.

"Oh my, how long have you been awake?" The baby monitor hadn't gone off or anything. Nina scurried over to Carter and lifted him up. She then gave him a bunch of kisses.

"He probably heard us coming, or maybe he knows today is his birthday," she stated eagerly. "Carter, say hi to Amira." Nina waved, which prompted Carter to mimic her actions.

"Oh, and show her how you can walk." Nina lowered herself to the floor and stood Carter up on his feet. Amira followed suit, dropping to her knees.

Carter simply plopped down on his butt, unwilling to walk at first. But Amira held her arms out to him, and he immediately stood back up and scrambled over to her.