9

A few days later...

Camila contacted Amira on a few occasions, but Amira was always too busy to talk. They would exchange some words, but not nearly as much as they usually would. Camila apologized for her behavior that night, but something was still off between her and Amira. Camila wanted to make amends, so she decided to stop by Amira's place when she knew Amira would be home.

"Look, I know I'm supposed to call first, but I brought a peace offering." Amira looked into the bag, shaking her head as she saw nothing but liquor. She was tired of Camila using alcohol to solve her problems.

"It'll loosen you up," Camila insisted.

"No, I'm good." Amira wasn't in the mood to drink.

Camila then huffed as she removed one of the caps, drinking the liquor straight from the bottle. Amira said nothing and sat on the couch.

"I apologized for my behavior last week, so I thought we would've been past this by now," Camila sat beside her.

"We are past it."

"Then why do you seem off?"

"I seem off?" Amira scoffed. "Camila, you're the one who seems off."

"How? I said I was sorry. What more must I do to show you my sincerity?"

"You don't have to do anything," Amira shrugged.

"Look, I know I fucked up, but I already apologized for my fuck up, so why are we still dwelling on old shit?"

"I'm chilling, Camila; I'm not dwelling on anything. I merely took a few days to myself, that's all."

"Then why are you making the situation a bigger deal by being so distant?"

Amira curled her lip in distaste, annoyed that she and Camila were viewing the situation from two completely different perspectives. They weren't on the same page at all.

"You have some nerve, Camila. I'm far from stupid, so I know how you can get when you're drunk. The pushiness and the horniness didn't bother me too much. It was your attitude and the tantrum you threw that pissed me off. You made things worse, Camila. You made the situation a big deal by disrespecting my relationship and my boundaries. Sure, we fucked in the past, but so what? That doesn't give you any rights to my body."

"I know, Amira, but I was drunk."

"Right, and you don't remember anything," Amira rolled her eyes. "I wish I could do stupid shit and forget all about it."

"I don't know what else you want me to say. It's just..." Camila paused. "You know my mom has been bullshitting again, and she's been so fucking annoying."

"Your mom?" Amira was thrown-off by the sudden change of subject. It was obvious Camila was trying to deflect and place the blame elsewhere.

"Yes, and I don't know what to do with her. She has moments where she does good, and then boom; she's back to pissing me off."

"But what does your mom have to do with your behavior?"

"You know how I get when she pisses me off. She gets on my nerves so bad that I can't function sometimes. Then I do stupid shit like get drunk and make a fool of myself. Otherwise, I wouldn't have done that."

Amira shook her head. "I don't know anything anymore."

"What does that mean? You know me, Amira. Can't you just forgive me so we can move on?"

"I always forgive you, Camila, but that's not the point. I see a pattern that has only worsened over time, and it worries me."

"There is no pattern. I'm fine."