22

A/N: Read the entire chapter!!!

⚠️WARNING/DISCLAIMER: Sensitive topics ahead!! I did my best to do A LOT of research, and I deeply apologize if any information is incorrect or the order of events is not quite accurate. Deciphering medical terminology while trying to make sense of everything was a little hard, especially since medicine is not my field of study. ⚠️
.....

Rowan got a very brief and mysterious text from Amira the next day, so he stopped what he was doing and went to her apartment. He found her sitting on the floor in the bathroom, looking upset. Rowan barely got a word out before she pointed to the countertop. His eyes then snapped to the sink before shifting to the four pregnancy tests sitting beside it.

"I fucked up," Amira said, wiping her face. After her initial test came back positive, she went to the store and bought more when she got off work. Amira wanted to be sure she was pregnant before telling Rowan.

"It doesn't have to be a fuck up, but I know I messed up," she continued.

"What does that mean, Amira?" Rowan stood at the counter, eyeing each positive test. Amira was supposed to be on birth control, so he was undoubtedly confused.

"How did you fuck up?"

Amira cleared her throat before speaking. "You know I've done my best to keep track of my birth control; it was hard at first, but I've gotten better since then." She wiped her tears.

"However, when a lot of shit happens, and I feel like I can't catch my breath, or the days pass by in a blur, I tend to forget to take a pill. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I usually don't let you touch me," Amira explained.

"When was the last time you missed a pill?"

"In October."

"Do you remember the exact date?"

"No, but it was the week before I went to Storm's house—when we were dealing with all that drama with Eliza—over a month ago," she sighed. "I forgot to take the pill not only once but twice, and we had sex before I realized my mistake. Then I stressed myself out trying to correct it, even going as far as taking a Plan B," she revealed.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know; I guess, I thought I could fix it. Plus, telling you would've done nothing; only time would tell."

Rowan nodded as he got down on the floor, sitting in front of Amira with his back to the sink. He couldn't quite show a reaction because Amira didn't seem happy or excited at all. She seemed displeased, which significantly dulled his response. "Are you disappointed?" He sighed deeply.

Amira noted the unease in Rowan's voice and straightened up. "Only in myself."

"Are you unhappy with the outcome? Would you have preferred those tests read negative?"

"I-I don't know. I mean, I'm just surprised. I was on birth control for a reason, so I wasn't expecting to get pregnant. I fucked up, but I genuinely thought the Plan B would work," she voiced sadly.

Rowan nodded again, his unease only intensifying the more she spoke.

"But I don't mean any harm by my words." She scooted forward and grabbed his hands. "I want to have a baby with you; I do. But I would have preferred to have gotten pregnant with intent and not because I made a mistake."

"But why does it matter, Amira? You forgot to take the pill, so what? The specifics of how don't matter. We created life out of love, passion, and mutual respect, so what's the difference?"

"The difference is that I'm not sure if I'm ready," she shrugged.

"It's not always a question of if you're ready, but are you willing to step up and get ready," he countered.