29

A/N: ⚠️This chapter might be triggering for some. It details child abuse. You have been warned. ⚠️
.....

More days later...

Amira went to her follow-up appointment alone. She didn't want to go, but she had some questions she needed answered.

The doctor responded to all of her concerns, basically telling Amira she had nothing to worry about right now. It was too early for Amira to panic about fertility issues. Any OB-GYN would tell her that having one miscarriage usually didn't raise concerns. Amira would only need to see a specialist if she experienced recurrent pregnancy loss. Some physicians define recurrent as two or more consecutive miscarriages, and some say three or more.

Amira and her doctor also talked about birth control, and they discussed how long Amira should wait to get pregnant. Ultimately, it was Amira's decision, but her doctor insisted she utilize her healing time. Amira needed to focus on herself. She was still struggling to cope with her loss, so she needed to ensure her mental health wasn't deteriorating. Thus, her doctor explained the importance of seeking therapy, which only solidified Amira's decision.

Amira left her appointment feeling somewhat better about the situation. She wished Rowan was present, but he was dealing with his own demons—wherever he was.

Amira got something to eat before sitting in her car for the longest time—staring at her phone for any sign of Rowan. She wondered if he would resurface anytime soon or if he would ever call her. Amira wished she could at least see his location—not to bother Rowan—but to ensure he was safe. Knowing his whereabouts would greatly ease her mind.

Amira drove around aimlessly until she got tired. Then she went home and went to bed—extremely upset. She had been so worried these past few days that her mother's sleeping pills came in handy.

Sometime during the night, Amira jumped when her phone started ringing. The loud noise practically rang throughout her body, causing Amira to fumble for her phone.

"Hello?" She quickly answered it.

It was silent on the other end. It was so quiet that Amira thought she had imagined hearing her phone ring. She pulled it away and squinted as Rowan's name and picture adorned her screen.

"Rowan?" She voiced, putting him on speaker.

"I'm outside," he uttered. His voice sounded unusually rough. Amira then stumbled out of her room, turning on the kitchen light, and rushing to the door. She undid each lock before yanking it open. Amira wasted no time stepping into Rowan's space and wrapping her arms around his body. She buried her face into his chest, immediately smelling the alcohol emitting from him.

"Rowan," she gulped, noticing his disheveled state. Dealing with a drunken Rowan was a new avenue for Amira. She needed to ensure she didn't do or say anything to piss him off.

"Did you drive here?" She asked, pulling him inside and closing the door.

Rowan shook his head as he went to the couch and dropped onto its surface, sighing as he placed his head in his hands. Amira then grabbed a cup from the cupboard and poured Rowan a generous glass of water.

"Are you okay?" She rushed to him and placed the cup on the table.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

Amira couldn't see Rowan's face, so she gently removed his hood and got on her knees in front of him. "It's okay," she nodded. "Just talk to me. Let me in. I want to help you." She caressed his legs.

Rowan's thoughts were all over the place, so he started with the most disturbing topic: his father. "I can't get him out of my head, and it's killing me," he stated. "The beatings, the bruises, and the scars I had to cover up..."