12

"I thought that was you, Amira. It's nice to see you again," Eliza smiled softly.

Amira stood by her car, stunned into silence. She had done her best to steer clear of Eliza, avoiding any moments she would have to interact with her. But now it seemed the universe was laughing in Amira's face. Maybe she was meant to encounter Eliza, or perhaps it was merely a coincidence.

"It's been awfully cold these days. I didn't pack my winter coat, so I've been shopping around for an inexpensive one."

Amira only nodded, keeping her gaze elsewhere.

"I still haven't found one, but I've been looking diligently. What brings you out today?" Eliza asked.

Amira wanted to keep her mouth shut, she desperately did, but every fiber of her being was advising her against being rude. She couldn't be rude to Eliza—not when she had already ignored the poor woman.

"Just shopping," Amira kept it simple.

"How are you?"

"I'm good, Eliza, and you?"

"I could be better," she replied. Amira heard the anguish in Eliza's voice and snapped her gaze to her. Amira was about to respond when something caught her attention. She got a good look at Eliza, and although Eliza maintained a radiant smile, her eyes held nothing but pain. They seemed dull, too dull. But it wasn't just her eyes; it was her whole appearance.

Eliza looked as if she hadn't slept or eaten in days. Her face was sunken in, her hair was slightly unkept, her clothes seemed too big for her body, and she looked extremely sad—heartbroken. No wonder Amira barely recognized the woman; she looked drastically different.

Amira then cleared her throat. "Are you by yourself?" She was now worried for Eliza.

"Yes, I was running some errands," she motioned to Burlington. "But I also stopped by the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions."

"Are you alright?"

"I could be better," she repeated, never dropping her smile.

It got awkward fast, so Amira resumed talking to kill the ongoing silence. "I feel bad about ignoring your texts and calls, but Nina should have never given you my number."

"Yes, about that. I hope you didn't give Nina a hard time; I begged her for it."

"I understand, but she should have asked me first. Then I would have said no."

"But can you blame her? She thought she was doing the right thing," Eliza defended. "Nina is like a child that only wants the best for everyone."

"Yes, but to a fault. She's not good at understanding boundaries," Amira continued. "It's almost as if she doesn't know any better."

"She doesn't," Eliza confirmed.

Amira knew about Nina's upbringing and how her parents coddled her as a child. They controlled every aspect of her life, shielding Nina away from any harm that could ever come her way. They fulfilled all of her basic needs: food, water, clothes, shelter, and safety. They showered Nina with love and affection, gifting her everything she ever wanted, but they also parented with an iron fist.

They shoved their fears and insecurities onto Nina, molding her into a shell of a person. They taught Nina how to shy away from the world at a young age, sheltering her from people. They swore they were doing her a favor, but they only stunted Nina's capacity to grow as a social being.

Nina has learned a lot since her childhood, but she still struggles to read social cues. She's also not too great at interacting with people, she lacks a filter at times, and she's too intrusive. Nina is an acquired taste—but only because her parents didn't let her flourish individually.