15

"Do you need anything else from me before I leave?" Shane, Storm's chef, asked.

Storm looked from Shane to Amira and then back to Shane. "I think we're fine. Amira ate, so she should be good for the rest of the day. Will you be back in the morning for breakfast?"

"Yes, of course. What time?" Storm turned her attention back to Amira. She could tell Amira was having a good time as she danced and got lost in the music. She had a lot to drink, so Storm figured Amira might like to sleep in.

"Let's do brunch instead, so noon," she told him. When Storm turned her eyes back to Shane, she noticed he was watching Amira. He was openly staring, eyes honed in on the beauty before him.

"Stunning, isn't she?" Storm caught him off guard.

"I apologize," he shook his head.

"Why? There's no harm in looking. I do it all the time."

"Right," Shane laughed. "I'll see you tomorrow at noon. Don't forget to send me the menu."

"Okay. Thank you, again. I appreciate you, Shane."

"Of course."

Amira turned just as Shane was leaving. She didn't know his name, but she regarded him anyway. "Thank you for the food and drinks!" She yelled. Shane stopped to make sure Amira was talking to him. He then nodded once he realized her smile was directed towards him.

Shane left after that, and Amira lowered herself to the floor, completely spent. She continued vibing out to the music but in a seated position. "Hey, where are your subs?" She inquired, slurring her words.

Storm couldn't hear Amira over the loud music, so she grabbed the remote and lowered the volume on her speakers. "Come again?"

"I said," Amira huffed, out of breath. "Where are your subs?"

"Off duty," Storm teased, joining Amira on the floor.

"Off duty?"

"Yes, I didn't think you would want them around."

"Why not?" She pouted, her head lulling to the side. "I would've liked to see you dominate them."

"Maybe next time, love." Storm smiled.

"Yes, maybe next time." Amira was in the mood to continue dancing, so she slowly wobbled to her feet. Storm settled on her side, propping her head in the palm of her hand. Then she turned the music back up and settled her focus on Amira.

Not a single negative thought loomed over  the young woman. She wasn't thinking about Rowan, Eliza, Camila, her mother, or her deceased father. All she cared about was dancing and possibly finding another drink to sip on. And although it wasn't unusual for Amira to drink and have fun, something was certainly off about her.

As the evening progressed, Storm couldn't help but notice that Amira wasn't just drinking to have fun; she was drinking to escape.

She was undoubtedly upset about something, but instead of probing Amira for answers, Storm merely watched as she moseyed off to get another drink. Amira needed the release, so who was Storm to stop her from finding one—even if she feared Amira might get sick soon?
.....

The next morning...

"You know you have that motherly type of love. Not that you remind me of my mother because that would be weird as fuck, but you have a strong nurturing presence."

"So you're saying I'm old?" Storm joked, pretending she didn't understand.

"No," Amira rolled her eyes. "You know how friend groups have a loud one, a bougie one, a goofy one, a hotheaded one, and so on?"