Chapter 3

AN: so the music in the last chapter I know, it must've been really loud, and how did my family not hear it? That's not the problem rn, don't worry about it. The point is, Olivia heard loud music and it was Niall, Harry and One Direction's music. End of AN

Monday. Ugh.

I hate Mondays. They're the first day of the week, I have PE at school, it's just not a good day. Oh well. What IS good is that I stayed up a little late last night writing a letter to my neighbors! Here is what I wrote. (AN: in theory it's written in Catalan but I'll write it here in English yay)

Dear neighbors,

Hi! I'm Olivia and I live next door. I don't think we've ever met but our parents have. I'd love to meet you and have a chat if you're up for it. I must confess something though. I heard you listening to One Direction, Harry Styles and Niall Horan a couple days ago, and I wanted to ask if you are a Directioner or if it was just random. I'm a Directioner and I'd love to talk about the boys and their music if you like! Why don't we communicate through letters? I know my house has two mailboxes, the real one is the green one. I hope to get an answer from you soon!

Your neighbor on the other side of the fence,

Olivia

I think it's pretty well written. I dropped it off earlier when I went to walk Felicity, and now I'm waiting for an answer. I'll have to wait from school though, because today is my next to last day!

Yes, my not-friend asked me about Niall's new album. Yes I said I absolutely love it and yes he absolutely crushed it and is killing it. Because he is awesome. No she is not a lover or a Directioner. Oh well. Nobody I know in real life is one. Wait, because maybe my neighbors are!!!!

My day went well, English, PE, Latin, math, and Spanish. It was good. As soon as I get home I open the mailbox. It's a custom and nobody questions it anymore (thank goodness).

There's a letter inside! I look at the address. It says my name only, Olivia. It has no return address or anything.

"What's that Olivia?" asks my dad. He brought me home from school.

"Oh it's just a letter from Sarah," I lie, referring to my cousin who lives in the UK.

"Oh cool! Tell her we say hi," he answers, already heading up the stairs.

"Will do," I say to myself, thinking about what could be in this letter.

Of course, the second I enter the house my mom asks about school and then tells me to leave my things upstairs but to come down fast for lunch. Shoot, I won't be able to read it! I hide the letter under my blanket on my bed so that nobody finds it and reads it.

I hurry through lunch but, as a rule, I have to wait until at least half of us are finished for me to be able to get up from the table and leave. My brother is the only one who has finished, and he keeps eating little pieces of cheese, a little bit of salad, only to annoy me. (Since my sister is working we're only four, and he's the only one done so far, but also not done if you know what I mean.)

My mom eventually finished her fish and I was allowed to get up and put away my plate. Then I hurried upstairs to my room, closed the door, and got out the letter. My name is written in beautiful calligraphy on a regular white envelope. I open it carefully and pull out a white piece of paper.

Hi Olivia!

It is so good to meet you! We've been neighbours for so long and you're so right, we've never talked. I've heard your family though, you all sound like you have a lot of fun.

I smirk at that. If only they knew. I continue reading.

To answer your question, I am indeed a Directioner. I've met the boys separately, I met Harry a year ago, or I saw him at least, at a show. And then I also went to see Louis about a month ago. I'm going next year to see Niall and I'm so excited! His new album is SO GOOD! I love it so much already. My parents are also Directioners, but not as much as I am. And my brother mostly likes Liam and Zayn, they're more his style of music.

I would absolutely love to have a chat with you soon! I know you walk your dog sometimes, we should find a day when we both can to chat.

Let me know! Your neighbor on the other side of the fence,

Carla

PS I love your name!

I smile at the last phrase, knowing it was absolute chance, sorry, chonce that my parents named me that. I'm so happy she's also a Directioner! Her family seems much nicer than mine honestly. I can't believe her parents also like One Direction, but the music the other day makes much more sense now!

I write her another letter and then I have to leave for violin class. It goes really well and I even try playing Story of My Life on my own, by ear. It turns out all right! I leave violin and go straight to where my dad should pick me up and then we're off to acrobatics class. Sort of. Yes, I said acrobatics and not aerobics. Basically my brother and I go to a jumping place and they teach us to do flips. I change my long pants to shorts and I quickly redo my ponytail.

Suddenly I remember my letter. I will take it later when I walk Felicity, but what if Carla and her family are already gone by then?

"Hey Connor, do you know if our neighbors left?" I ask, trying to sound normal.

"Oh my goodness Olivia you're so nosy!" he rolls his eyes.

"No I'm not! I just want to know!" I defend myself.

"Liv, they did leave. Sorry, did you need something from them? Do you even know them?" my dad starts interrogating me.

"No, it's fine. I guess I just wanted to spy on them and see if I could see their dog again," I try to justify my question.

"Oh," says my dad surprised. "Well I'm pretty sure they'll be back this weekend, so don't worry about it!"

We arrive at the jumping place and head inside. It's a good class. They always have music playing and today it's a different playlist.

Seriously now, is One Direction following me around? Because that is actually What Makes You Beautiful playing on the speakers. My brother looks at me knowingly.

"I'm so proud," I say to him. "Of them, of course, but also of you, for recognizing it as theirs! Are you a fan, Connor?" I just love teasing him.

Oh hang on... "to prove I'm right I put it in a so-o-ong." You know what's coming right? "I don't know why..." I DON'T KNOW WHY! "You being shy..." WHY YOU SO SHY? "And turn away when I look into your eye-eye-eyes..." I smile, my mission is complete.

After class we go home and I finally feed Felicity and grab the letter. The neighbors are definitely gone... I drop my letter into their mailbox and walk up the hill again with Felicity. 

After supper I do the same ritual. I brush my teeth and go outside to vibe to more music. This time I don't hear anything else from the other side because my neighbors aren't home. And then they pull up! I see one of them look into the mailbox but doesn't take anything out.

Wait, she doesn't take anything out? I distinctly remember putting my letter in there! That is so weird.

I went off to bed after a while of YouTube, still thinking about the fact that Carla's mom, the one who checked the mailbox, didn't take anything out of it. Even if it was for her daughter, she would've brought it out and given it to her. Right?

I hope I get a new letter tomorrow. It's my last day of school my tomorrow! More on that, well, tomorrow.

*authors note* so... nothing taken out of the mailbox eh? Intriguing innit! This is a bit of a filler chapter so I apologize, but get out your tissues for the next one! Comment vote let me know what you think will happen!!! And to those saying I'm such an amazing writer. Luvs I write this for you, and I'm really really glad you enjoy it. Love you all!