O N E

Chapter One: Welcome Home Princess 

NOVA NYX 🌙

"Cheers!" I clanked my glass against my two best friends drinks, their dopey alcohol fueled smiles and tear filled gazes locking onto my face as we cheers for the final time tonight, each of us waking up tomorrow and heading to the new places we would call home for four years. 

With Samara heading to New York for culinary school and Lili headed to Harvard, it was a bittersweet goodbye as we knew we wouldn't see each other in person until summer break. 

While I was nervous to be starting my new life tomorrow, I knew that my decision to pick a college closer to home was the right one, considering I'd be only an hour away from my Mom and younger brothers in case they needed me or vice versa. 

College was always something I looked forward too as long as I could remember, whether it be from the earliest memories of visiting my Uncle at his College Campus and seeing the pure joy on his face, or the dozens of stories my parents used to recount to me at bedtime during their college days and how they met, I just knew that whatever happened tomorrow would be life changing for me. 

Excitement tingled under my skin because I finally found a purpose in what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. 

I wanted to Help Heal People, just like my Dad did. 

Samara gripped my hand tightly in hers, bring me back to the present . 

"You won't even have one drink with us Nyxie?" she pouted at me, pushing her too long blonde bangs off of her slightly glazed eyes "It's our last night and you're being a party pooper." 

I drummed my nails against the circular table top, shooting her my best cheeky grin. 

"You know I don't drink Sammie" I said "Besides, I don't want to show up to my first lectures absolutely hammered and hungover." 

"I can't believe you start so soon" Lili said, her tone infinitely softer and definitely harder to hear in the packed bar "We don't start until another two weeks." 

"It sucks for sure" I sighed, running a hand through my dark hair "But at least I get out earlier than you guys. Who knows? Maybe I could use those two weeks to come visit you two on the East Coast." 

Samara squealed, clapping excitedly at my proposed idea. 

Lili smiled softly at my words, tracing the condensation of her glass with the tip of her finger. 

Her eyes drifted past me for a second and then widened as she inhaled in a breath so quickly, she started coughing as a spasm wracked her throat. 

Samara, the best friend any girl could ask for, looked over at Lili in bewilderment before slapping her hand against our friends back as hard as tiny hand could.