T H I R T Y - S I X

NOVA 

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!" 

Kassian glanced over to the security panel, eyes widened as he jumped up and unlocked the panic room's door. 

"Phoenix?" He gasped "Atlas?" 

I jumped out of my seat and ran towards the door, trying to peak over his broad shoulders that were blocking the entrance to the room. 

I gasped when I saw what awaited at the door, more specifically, who stood there.

"Phoenix!" I choked, my eyes dropping from his bloody body to the person he was carrying, who looked like he was ten seconds away from meeting the Grim Reaper "ATLAS!" 

Kassian ushered them in, slamming the door shut behind them quickly before reengaging the panic room's security system. 

Phoenix lowered Atlas gently onto the couch I previously occupied, his blood immediately soaking into the soft beige couch. 

My lips quivered as kneeled next to him, cataloging all of his injuries as my eyes bounced from one wound to the next. 

Almost automatically, my hands hovered over the largest wound on his stomach, as if they willed the blood to stop oozing from his body.  

"That monster caused all this damage?" I looked at Phoenix who gave me a terse nod "And where is it now?" 

"Dead" he said bluntly "Before he managed to get maimed nearly to death, the Bastard took down that creature. I only provided the distraction he needed to kill the thing." 

My eyes roamed over him from head to toe as he talked, my heart beating dangerously fast as I checked for any wounds he could be sporting. 

When I found none, well no obvious ones, my eyes slid back to the man at my side. 

"Good" I whispered, pushing back the blood stained wisps of hair away from his forehead "How did that thing get in the Academy anyway? I thought you said we were safe here? That I was safe?" 

Silence. 

I didn't have to have eyes on the back of my head to know that Kassian and Phoenix were giving each other secretive looks.

"We figuring out that now" Phoenix said "I have the less psychotic Butcher twin working on it." 

A throat cleared and my head snapped over to where an older woman stood in the corner of the room, her critical gaze bouncing from me to the guys and then back once again.

A small growl slid from my throat as I covered Atlas' body with my own, protecting him as much as I could from this unknown woman.