T W O

Chapter Two: Capital T for Trouble 

Phoenix 

I tightened my tactical vest onto my chest before slipping on my face mask and helmet onto my head. 

The mission was supposed to be fairly easy. 

Go in, rescue the girl, separate her from her captors, and bring her back to the Academy unharmed, whether she wanted to come or not. 

I would lead the small non-shifted tac team into the house and breech the doors, making first contact. 

Atlas and Kass would cover us from both angles in the woods and watch in case she managed to slip through our fingers or shift and try to take us on. 

Considering who her father was...the girl very well may have had the capability to not only destroy us but also wreck havoc on this whole entire street. 

Everything was accounted and well thought out for except... for the girl herself. 

The moment Atlas and Kass came back to the surveillance vehicle from the night before at the bar, I knew immediately that something was wrong. 

Not only from their set jaws and flushed skin but also from their rigid shoulders and snappy attitudes. 

When they refused to talk to me about what happened and went wrong, I was on high alert. 

Their refusal could only mean one thing...that this girl was trouble with a capital T. 

Plain and simple. 

I've know both Atlas and Kass since we were children, our parents often bringing us to the Penta meetings to not only make sure we were well acquainted with one another as future leaders but also to make sure that we knew who and what we were up against when the time came to take over their positions. 

His "Keep your enemies close but your friends closer mentality" was ingrained in me so tightly that I gritted my teeth at the memory of the many lessons my father gave me when he thought I was being soft and too caring for those he considered would one day be our enemy. 

I shook my head at the memories, clearing my thoughts. 

I needed my head on straight for this, considering I was put in charge of the whole operation, something that was rarely done except for rare occasions in which the Penta didn't want the entire shifter community to know about just of yet. 

Considering that this particular Heir has been missing for eighteen years, I'd say that this information would stir up heaps of issues throughout the shifter community, putting our already strained community into a spiral of division between the Packs. 

Honestly we were lucky to find her like we did, having a shifter that serves the Penta working in an admissions office out here, recognizing her and those uniquely colored eyes of her that could only belong to the Lupine Heir. 

Blue eyes so light that they nearly looked like the color of snow. 

Confirmation coming from the blood samples she gave to the University health center during her registration period when ran against the DNA of her father. 

"Alpha!" Ricci, my Tac Team and pack member, called out "Just received word from the Penta members. We can breech as soon as we have confirmation that the girl is here." 

The girl got home an hour ago and was most likely fast asleep by now. 

"Send Mika in for confirmation" I ordered "Remind her to not breech. We just need physical confirmation that she's still asleep." 

He nodded at me before barking orders to the rest of the Team. 

A minute later we receive the confirmation we needed. 

It was now time to breach and rescue the Lost Heir...