F O U R T Y - T W O

NOVA

I was scared...just not of him. 

I was scared of the unknown and how little I actually knew of this world. 

I was scared of the dangers I didn't realize were constantly following me, patiently waiting in the shadows to strike and burst the protective little bubble I've created for myself since coming to Crescent Academy. 

Stupidly, while I was aware of the dangers inside of the Academy, I arrogantly thought that I could deal with any problem that these privileged kids threw my way.

Rumors? Glares? Snide remarks? Petty posters?

No big deal. 

A terrifying half-dead creature gunning for me and nearly killing one someone that I realized has becoming important to me?

Now that was a different fucking issue. 

Because while I hadn't had the time to really process what I witness that day, too busy worrying over Atlas and the others, I couldn't stop the subconscious recollections swimming through my dreams at night. 

There was just so much blood...covering everything and anything I laid my eyes on.  

A shudder moved through my body before I could stop, the heat from Atlas's hand on my hip immediately disappearing as he misinterpreted my terror for disgust. 

"I'm sorry baby" He whispered, pain mingling in his voice as a choked sound left his chest "I've never...I won't... I'm sorry..." 

I placed my hands over his mouth, essentially hushing his unnecessary apologies. 

"Lobo," I straddled him gently, leaning my head on his chest as I lifted my hands from his mouth "Does it feel like I'm scared of you?"

"No?" He blinked owlishly at me "But that could be because I'm biased, a little hopeful, and a hell of a lot confused right now."

My lips twitched up in a smile "And how long have you known me?" 

"A couple months, give of take" he said, eyeing me wearily "Why?" 

"So you know that I'm not one to mince my words or hold back my feelings" I said "I'm also not one to let others touch me....Like at all." 

I lifted his hands gently until they were once again back on my hips, biting my lip to hold back the laugh that wanted to escape as he continuously blinked rapidly up at me. 

"You annoy me in more ways than I thought was physically possible" I began "You're rude, arrogant, somewhat crass at times..."