T W E N T Y - N I N E

Phoenix 

"Go ahead and ask whatever it is you want to ask" I side-eyed the most infuriatingly gorgeous woman I've ever come across "Your stare is quite unnerving." 

She glanced away quickly, a blush erupting across her beautiful face as she digested my words. 

"I wasn't staring at you." 

"No?" I raised a brow "Then what do you call it when someone doesn't stop looking at someone or something else for an extended period of time?" 

"Asshat" She muttered softly before sighing "Why are you coming with me today?" 

"I thought Atlas already explained..." 

"He did" she said quickly "But what I want to know is why you volunteered. He said that this whole thing was both yours and the Coach's idea, which I find hard to believe since I thought you two hated each other?" 

An unintentional snarl overcame my face at the mention of that asshat's name. 

I had reasons why I hated Coach Calhoun, and it had nothing to do with preposterous rumors floating around about why that may be. 

I hated my Uncle because even to this day he pretends to not know what really happened with my mother, or what went on in our house during the years leading up to her death, even though I know he did. 

I mailed her fucking letters myself.

Even after her death, he sat back and watched idly as an Alpha continued to make his nephew and niece suffer at the hands of their father, never once stepping in or trying to help us. 

And while I knew he couldn't do shit to help us, seeing as my father was an Alpha and a member of the Penta, the fact that he didn't even try to help us made me hate his guts a hundred times more. 

If only people could see what kind of a man the Coach really was. 

He wasn't the brave, powerful, former commander general of the Crescent Guardsmen, or the hero that everyone thought he was.

No, he was the coward that couldn't even save his big sister's life, even when she begged for his help. 

I shook away my dark thoughts, trying as hard as I could to keep the venom out of my voice as I said "Coach and I have a very strong difference of opinions." 

"I honestly would have believe that," she snorted "If I didn't see that ugly expression on your face." 

My lips twitched fractionally before I schooled my expression.