T H I R T Y - S E V E N

Phoenix 

I was dragged out of the awful memory by an angelic voice.

"Nix?" Her soft hands touched my face, bringing me back to the present "Are you okay?"

I nodded, the knot in my throat keeping the reassuring words I wanted to say to her from coming out. 

"You don't look okay" her eyes scanned my entire face "Where did you go just now?" 

It was crazy to believe that this beautiful angel in front of me, a woman I've known for less than a few months, has come to mean so much to me in a short amount of time. 

I could honestly say, Mate bond or not, that I'd die for her...

I'd kill for her...

But most importantly...I'd love her with my entire being until I took my very last breath.

"I'm fine" I finally croaked out, clearing my throat as I strengthened my voice "I'm fine." 

"You don't look fine" she whispered "You look...terrified." 

I gently took her small hands into my own, squeezing gently before releasing them and taking a step away from her, addressing the other people in the room with us.

"Atlas and Kass will remain here with you Amethyst" I told them "And I will head to and remain in my own panic room for the duration of this Lockdown." 

Nova's eyes widened "What?" 

"Phoenix," Kass sighed "I really don't think that that's such a good idea man. Shouldn't we stick together in case of another attack? What if that thing has friends? Or worse?" 

"One of us needs to be in their respective safe rooms when the messages start coming in" I reminded him "And it's best if I'm the one to be there to control the narrative to the Penta." 

"What messages?" Nova asked. 

Kassian pivoted in a way to address both of us at once "The Penta pings coded messages to each panic room as a way of communicating and updating each other. We get messages every so often and have to respond to them within a certain time frame." 

"How do they know where to send the messages too if they don't even know where everyone's panic rooms are located?" Nova asked, her nose scrunching in confusion "And how much time do you have to respond?" 

"You have an hour to respond" I provided "And the second that hour is up, they immediately send another message that you must respond too within ten minutes." 

"And how do they even send these messages if these walls are so thick?"