Chapter 8

HARVEY'S POV

I stood in my room, eying the box of supplies and technology that my so-called father had handed me. Part of me wanted to reject his peace offering, to resist anything that came from him or this unfamiliar world I was forced into. But the practical side of me acknowledged that I would need those supplies for school.

"Seriously, Alexander? Trying to buy my forgiveness with gadgets?" I scoffed, crossing my arms.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Harvey, it's not about buying your forgiveness. I just thought it would help you settle in and make your life a little easier."

"Right, because having the latest tech will make everything better," I retorted sarcastically.

He frowned, clearly frustrated. "I'm trying, Harvey. I want to make things right. Starting junior year with your sister, getting you a car... I'm doing what I can."

Rolling my eyes, I muttered, "I'll pass on the car, thanks. Don't waste your money on me. Besides, I'll find my own way to get around."

The mention of Ethan's name made my father's eyes flash with anger, but he bit his tongue, keeping his thoughts to himself.

He continued, suggesting that I go shopping with Olivia, my mother, or a couple of my brothers for new clothes. The idea made me cringe.

"You think a shopping trip with them is going to make me suddenly feel like a part of this family? Save it," I said, shaking my head.

He sighed once again, seeming frustrated by my stubbornness. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his black Amex card, extending it towards me. "Just take it, Harvey. Get yourself whatever you want. I know it won't fix everything, but it's a start."

I couldn't help but laugh bitterly. "You really think material things can fix this? Money can't buy my acceptance or happiness."

With a dismissive wave, I turned my back on him, walking away without another word. The weight of his expectations and the futility of his attempts to win me over hung in the air.

Two hours later, my phone buzzed with a call from Liam. "Hey, Harvey, we're heading to the mall to pick up some stuff for the new house. Wanna come with us?"

Excitement surged within me at the thought of spending time with my boys. "Definitely! I'll be there in a few minutes."

As I made my way towards the door, Knight, one of my brothers, stepped in front of me. "Hey, where are you off to?"

I shrugged, bored by his presence. "None of your business."

He looked taken aback, but I didn't stick around for further interrogation. I walked past him without a second glance, relieved that he didn't follow me.

When I arrived at the mall, Killan, Ethan, and Liam greeted me with wide smiles. They wasted no time in dragging me from one clothing store to another, their excitement contagious.

"Ethan, this outfit is so not me," I complained, holding up a flashy dress that clashed with my usual style.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Harvey, trust me, it'll look amazing on you. Just give it a try."

Sighing dramatically, I reluctantly headed to the fitting room, muttering, "Fine, but if I look like a glittery disco ball, I'm blaming you."

The boys continued to shower me with outfit suggestions, debating which ones suited me best. I rolled my eyes at their fashion advice but secretly appreciated their effort.

After what felt like an eternity of trying on clothes, I settled on six pieces that I considered "closet staples" - versatile items I could mix and match to create various outfits.