Chapter 20

Damien's POV:

As I spotted Harvey in the kitchen, my stomach growled loudly. It had been a long day, and I couldn't resist the temptation of grabbing a late-night snack. I sauntered over to her with a mischievous grin, swiping a forkful of pasta from her plate.

"Hullo Darlin'," I greeted her playfully, relishing in the adorable pout she gave me in response. She let out a groan, but I could see a hint of amusement twinkling in her eyes.

She dropped her plate in the sink, ready to retreat, but I couldn't let her go without trying to bridge the gap between us. "Harvs? I missed you," I blurted out, my voice betraying a mix of sincerity and lightheartedness.

She turned around, her expression still guarded but intrigued. I took a step closer, trying to maintain a casual demeanor. "I mean, who else is going to keep up with my witty banter and keep me on my toes?" I teased, hoping to break the tension that had been lingering between us.

Harvey crossed her arms, a smirk playing at the corners of her lips. "You flatter yourself, Damien," she retorted, but there was a warmth in her eyes that I couldn't ignore.

I chuckled, trying to ease the tension. "Well, someone's got to appreciate my charm," I replied with a wink, hoping to elicit a smile from her. She rolled her eyes, but I could see a hint of amusement shining through.

"I know things have been complicated between us, but I genuinely miss our banter and the way we used to have fun together," I confessed, my voice tinged with a mix of honesty and vulnerability. "Life's just not the same without our snarky exchanges."

Harvey's defenses softened, and she uncrossed her arms, considering my words. "Damien, you have a long way to go if you want to make up for everything," she said, her tone teasing but with a hint of caution.

I nodded, determination coursing through me. "Challenge accepted, Harvs. I'm ready to prove that I've changed and that I can be the friend you deserve," I declared, my voice filled with resolve.

She smirked, a playful glimmer in her eyes. "We'll see about that, Damien. Actions speak louder than words," she said, challenging me to back up my promises.

I raised an eyebrow, matching her playful tone. "Oh, trust me, Harvs, I'm prepared to dazzle you with my actions," I quipped, earning a chuckle from her.

As we stood there, the weight of past mistakes seemed to lift slightly, replaced by a newfound sense of possibility. There was still a lot of work to be done, but if I could keep making her laugh and showing her the changes I've made, maybe, just maybe, we could rebuild the bond we once had.

I fell asleep that night with the biggest smile on my face.

As I enjoyed my breakfast the next morning, my mind still lingering on the conversation I had with Harvey the previous night, a crash from the sink startled me. I turned around to see Harvey dropping her plate, her hands trembling and panic overtaking her face. My heart skipped a beat as I instantly recognized the signs.

Adrien and Devin, looking just as concerned as I felt, rushed over to Harvey's side. But as their panic mirrored hers, their attempts to console her only seemed to exacerbate the situation. It was clear that they were unsure of what to do, their worry adding to the tension in the room.

Without hesitating, I stepped forward and gently pushed Adrien and Devin aside, taking the lead. I knelt down beside Harvey, placing a comforting hand on her back. Slowly, I started stroking her hair and whispering soothing words to her.

"Shh, it's okay, Harvey. Just breathe. Focus on my voice," I murmured softly, my voice calm and steady. "You're safe here with us. We won't let anything harm you."