Chapter 18 (PT-1)

LUCA'S POV

I step into the house, greeted by a cacophony of questions from my siblings. Their voices swirl around me, demanding answers. I raise a hand, commanding their attention, and the room falls silent. Their eyes lock onto mine, waiting for an explanation.

"Harvey's at my place," I announce firmly. "No, you will not disturb her. She deserves this time alone after everything she's been through, and I won't let any of you take that away from her."

There's a collective pause as my words sink in. Even Olivia, usually brimming with defiance, remains silent under the weight of my authority. Satisfied with the impact of my statement, I make my way up to my room, the questions of my siblings fading into the background.

Inside my sanctuary, I take a moment to wash up and gather my thoughts. Hours slip by as I sit at my desk, lost in contemplation. The weight of responsibility rests heavily on my shoulders, a burden I've become all too accustomed to.

A knock at the door interrupts my musings, and I see my mother standing there, holding a plate of food. I invite her in, grateful for her presence. She places the plate on my desk, her eyes filled with concern and love. She voices her worries about my incessant work and urges me to find a suitable partner.

I let out a sigh, knowing this conversation all too well. My gaze meets hers, a mixture of frustration and empathy in my eyes. "Mother, you don't understand," I say, my tone tinged with weariness. "I work because I have to. Dad's actions may blind you, but we can't rely on his misguided efforts forever. We need to be more aware of what's happening around us."

Her smile falters, and a hint of sadness creeps into her eyes. She takes a step closer, her hand reaching out to touch my cheek gently. "Luca, my dear, I only want what's best for you and your siblings. Perhaps it's time for us to face the reality of our situation."

Just as our conversation starts to settle, my phone rings, shattering the fragile peace. I answer quickly, my heart skipping a beat at the urgency in the voice on the other end. "Mother, it's Harvey," I utter, my voice trembling. "She's hurt."

My mother's gasp fills the room, her eyes widening in alarm. We share a brief, charged moment of understanding, the weight of our worry and love for Harvey pressing upon us. Without wasting another second, I rush out of the room, my mother close behind me, our steps echoing with the urgency to reach our beloved sister and daughter.

As I rush with our father to the car, my mind spins with worry and fear. The engine roars to life, propelling us towards my house, where a sense of impending doom hangs in the air. We arrive, and my heart skips a beat as I see the commotion outside. Pushing past the guards, I reach Harvey's crumpled form on the floor. She's pale, her face twisted in pain, and my gut clenches with anguish.

I scoop her up into my arms, her body alarmingly light and fragile. Panic courses through me as I carry her to the car. The drive to the hospital is a blur of anxiety and desperate prayers. I hold onto her tightly, the weight of her life in my hands.

Hours pass like an eternity, spent in the sterile confines of the surgery room. The medical team works tirelessly, their expertise a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness that looms over us. Beside me, Killan, Liam, and Ethan stand, their eyes reflecting the same mixture of fear and determination.

We find ourselves in the hospital waiting room, the air heavy with sorrow and regret. Tears stream down our faces, mingling with the shared grief that weighs upon our souls. The weight of guilt bears down on us, as we grapple with our individual roles in the events that led us here.

Olivia sits alone in a corner, her guilt palpable. I can see the torment etched on her face, the realization of her hurtful words sinking in. She is a fragile figure amidst the turmoil, and I can't help but feel a pang of empathy mixed with frustration.