Chapter 22

HARVEY

After recovering from my injury, I feel much better, and today is the first day I'm going back to school. I choose to wear my favorite beige pants and a comfy dark brown hoodie, leaving my hair down. I take a quick glance in the mirror, pleased with my appearance, and grab my backpack before heading downstairs.

As I reach the bottom of the stairs, I'm met with the sight of Damien standing there like a guard dog, blocking my path. I let out an exasperated sigh, intending to walk past him, but he swiftly takes my bag out of my grasp. "You shouldn't hold heavy things," he insists, and I can't help but roll my eyes at his overprotectiveness.

However, I decide not to engage in an argument with him, knowing it would be futile. I chuckle at Damien's overprotective nature, but I don't protest when he takes my backpack from me. "You're such a worrier," I say, playfully poking his chest. "I'm fine, really."

He raises an eyebrow, not entirely convinced, but eventually hands me back my bag. "Just trying to be helpful," he mutters, a hint of a smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"Well, I appreciate it," I reply, genuinely grateful for his concern. As much as Damien can be infuriating at times, I know he means well.

We walk to school together, falling into an easy rhythm of conversation. It's strange how comfortable I feel around him despite our complicated history. It's like no time has passed at all.

Once we reach the school gates, Damien stops and faces me, his eyes searching mine. "You sure you're okay?" he asks again, his voice softer this time.

I nod, a small smile tugging at my lips. "I'm sure. Thanks for walking me."

He smirks, giving me a mock bow. "Anytime, Princess."

I laugh and shake my head, playfully shoving him. "Don't call me that."

"Okay, okay, I'll behave," he says, raising his hands in surrender.

I thought we were going to part ways, but I couldn't believe Damien was following me around like a shadow. It was infuriating. As I headed to my AP Bio class, I turned to him, raising an eyebrow, and said, "I'm going for AP Bio." The subject was known for being challenging, and Damien had always hated biology.

To my surprise, he just shrugged and casually replied, "I have all the same classes as you."

"What? Why?" I demanded, getting increasingly frustrated with his enigmatic behavior. But he didn't offer any explanation, simply brushing off my question.

Throughout the next three periods, Damien stuck to his bodyguard act, and it only annoyed me more. He scared away three kids who were about to take a seat next to me, glared at anyone who dared to stare, and didn't allow anyone to get close to me. I was capable of handling myself, and his overprotective antics were getting on my nerves.

"What's your problem, Damien?" I finally snapped during the lunch break. "Why are you acting like this?"

He looked at me, his expression unreadable, and said, "I just want to make sure you're safe."

"Safe from what? I don't need a babysitter," I retorted, crossing my arms over my chest.

"If you're going to act like a baby, then you need a babysitter," Damien shot back, his tone teasing but firm. I snarled at him, not appreciating his condescending comment.

"Damien, just leave me alone," I demanded, trying to assert some authority. But to my surprise, he flat out refused.

"Nope, not happening," he replied, crossing his arms in defiance.