Chapter 23

It was late at night, and I was sitting at the dinner table, trying to complete my trigonometry assignment. The frustration was building up inside me as I stared at the confusing equations and diagrams. I let out a tear of exhaustion, feeling defeated by the subject I despised the most.

Suddenly, I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. I looked back to see Luca, my oldest brother, smiling softly at me. He placed a plate of food in front of me and gently closed my books, neatly packing everything away. I managed a small smile in response to his kind gesture, appreciating the fact that he understood how overwhelmed I felt.

"You didn't have to do that," I murmured, my voice hoarse from fatigue.

Luca just shrugged, still smiling. "It's no trouble. I'll explain the concept to you tomorrow. You'll get it," he said, his confidence in me boosting my spirits.

As he settled down with his own plate of food, I couldn't help but notice how exhausted he looked. Yet, he never ceased to maintain that cheerful smile on his face. It was typical of Luca to prioritize others before himself.

"Luca, why don't you have a girlfriend or a boyfriend?" I asked, curious about his love life.

He looked up, his expression thoughtful. "I just don't have the time right now," he replied. "Between work, family, and other commitments, there's hardly any space for dating."

I nodded in understanding, realizing that his dedication to his responsibilities often took precedence over personal relationships.

"What about you, Harvs?" he asked, taking a bite of his food. "Is there someone special in your life?"

I hesitated for a moment before answering honestly, "I'm too young to make a commitment right now. Besides, there are parts of me that haven't healed from the past, and I don't want to burden someone with that."

Luca nodded empathetically, acknowledging the pain I carried from our difficult childhood. "You're wise beyond your years, little sister," he said, reaching out to ruffle my hair affectionately.

We then drifted into a lighthearted conversation about random topics, discussing the release of a new movie called "Oppenheimer" and sharing random facts about the galaxy. I even attempted a bad pun, which surprisingly made Luca burst into laughter. The sound of his laughter was contagious, and soon, we were both rolling on the floor, laughing together.

In that moment, I felt a deep sense of connection with Luca. He was not only my brother but also my confidante, someone I could share my thoughts and worries with without judgment. I knew I could always count on him for support and understanding.

As we sat on the floor, still chuckling at my terrible pun, I felt a sense of comfort and gratitude wash over me. Despite the challenges life had thrown our way, we had each other, and that was enough to make everything seem a little brighter.

The next day, Luca and I were seated at the table, engrossed in studying trigonometry. He patiently explained the concepts to me, and I was starting to feel more confident with the subject. The atmosphere was calm and focused until Olivia entered the room. With a mean-spirited laugh, she made a snide remark about our studying, but we didn't react to her taunts. Instead, she left the room, her attempt at stirring trouble going unnoticed.

"Ugh, she's always trying to  get under our skin," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

Luca chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Don't let her get to you, Harvs. She's just looking for attention."

A couple of hours passed, and I had managed to complete all my coursework and additional exercises with Luca's help. Suddenly, we heard the beautiful sound of a piano playing a classical piece. Intrigued, I followed the melody until we reached Knight, my other brother, playing Beethoven's composition with extraordinary skill and passion. I stood there, mesmerized by the music, and Luca seemed equally captivated by Knight's talent.

"Oh, wow. Knight is amazing," I whispered to Luca.

He grinned, clearly proud of our brother's skills. "Yeah, he's always been a natural with the piano. It's one of his hidden talents."

After sharing a look of amazement, Luca and I quietly left Knight to enjoy his music in peace. We returned to the living room, where I saw my mother with Olivia. They were engrossed in scrolling through a website for dresses and giggling over cups of tea. Jealousy hit me, seeing them bonding in a way I had never experienced with our mother. I felt a tear escape my eye, and Luca noticed, his protective instincts kicking in.

Luca placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Harvs, don't let it get to you," he said gently. "Our mother has never been much of a mother figure to any of us. She's always been self-absorbed and focused on Olivia. It's not your fault; she's just incapable of showing the same care and love to all of us."

I sighed, wiping away the tear. "I know, but it still hurts, you know? I wish things were different."

"You have all of us," Luca replied with a warm smile. "We may have had a difficult past, but we're here for each other now. We're a family, and that's what matters."

I looked into his eyes, feeling a sense of gratitude for the bond we shared as siblings. Luca had always been there for me, even in the darkest times. His presence brought a sense of comfort and belonging that I cherished deeply.

"You're right," I said, taking a deep breath. "I'm lucky to have you guys."

As the day went on, I focused on the love and support of my brothers, finding solace in the fact that I had a family who truly cared for me. While our mother's favoritism still stung, I was determined not to let it define my worth or overshadow the unconditional love I had from my brothers.

In the end, it was the bonds we forged amongst ourselves that truly mattered—the ones built on trust, understanding, and shared experiences. And with Luca by my side, guiding and supporting me, I knew I could face whatever challenges life threw my way. Together, we would navigate through life's twists and turns, knowing that we had each other's backs no matter what.

Sibling bonding just as asked :))))