Chapter 32

LUCA'S POV

Sitting in the foyer, I absentmindedly scrolled through notifications on my phone, waiting for Harvey to finish her conversation with our grandfather. The air was charged with tension, and I found it hard to focus on anything other than the weight of the situation.

A sudden clatter disrupted my thoughts, drawing my attention to a staff member who had dropped a glass. She hurriedly bent down to pick up the pieces, but I reached out and gently caught her arm, preventing her from hurting herself further. "No need to do that, you might hurt yourself," I said, my voice trying to reassure her.

Her surprised eyes met mine as I helped her to her feet. There was a fleeting moment when our hands brushed, and a strange connection seemed to form. She quickly pulled away, mumbling apologies, before leaving me with a sense of curiosity about who she was and why she was working here.

As I was about to return to my phone, Harvey emerged from the room, accompanied by our grandfather. She looked composed on the surface, but I could sense the tension that lingered. I offered her a reassuring nod before following our grandfather's beckoning to join him.

Contrary to my expectations, we didn't head to his office. Instead, he led me to a spacious meeting room. My attention was immediately drawn to Olivia and my mother, both dressed modestly in brown attire with no traces of makeup. Olivia's tearful expression stood out, reminding me of Harvey in a strange way.

Taking a seat beside my grandfather, I awaited an explanation. My mother's voice broke the silence, her tone pleading as she turned to me, "Luca, please, you can't let this happen. You have to stop it." Confusion clouded my mind as I glanced at our grandfather, seeking clarification.

After a brief throat clearing, my grandfather addressed Olivia's distress. "I have seen the footage," he began, "and I have decided that Olivia will be married when she reaches 18." His words hung heavily in the air, a weighty decision with far-reaching consequences.

He continued, "To the Spanish heir. Their Mafia is rising, and we need financial ties. I've personally trained their young man." Jacob Hayes, the name he mentioned, conjured memories of an arrogant individual whose paths crossed mine occasionally. He was unskilled, intolerant and full of himself in all the wrong ways, perfect for her.

Emotions clashed within me – a desire for Olivia's happiness, a concern for the implications of an arranged marriage. As these thoughts swirled, Olivia's voice erupted, her accusations directed at our grandfather. "My boyfriend proposed already! You can't force me into a marriage when I'm engaged!"

Meeting my grandfather's gaze, I understood his silent consent to proceed with the arrangement, if Olivia thinks she'd be allowed to live off our money her entire life, she was in for a surprise.

I leave Olivia behind, her sobs fading as I step out of the room. The mansion's oppressive air feels less stifling as I breathe in the fresh outdoor breeze. Harvey nods when I ask if she's ready to head back home, and we make our way to the waiting car. The engine hums to life, and as we drive, a sense of relief washes over me.

"Did you know Olivia is engaged?" I break the silence, my frustration evident in my tone.

Harvey's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "What?"

I offer a wry smile as I glance at her. "Yeah, she was. The guy who came to dinner, he had a ring and everything."

Her disbelief mirrors my own. "How were they planning on living after she got married? With what money?"

I roll my eyes, sharing her exasperation. "Exactly."

As the car cruises along, I decide to broach a new topic. "Do you want to start working?"

Harvey's mischievous smirk doesn't go unnoticed. "Don't worry, I have a source of income already."

I raise an eyebrow skeptically. "Fighting and racing in underground clubs is not a stable source of income."

She nonchalantly shrugs, undeterred. "What do you have in mind?"

I present her an option. "Work for the company. Start from the bottom. Coffee, snacks, meetings—the whole shebang."

She contemplates my proposal. "I'll let you know. I was actually thinking about interning at a lab this summer."

Surprise colors my expression. "That sounds amazing, sweetheart."

Harvey's nose wrinkles at the term of endearment. "Can't you guys call me something else? Kills and Dame use that; it feels weird."

I roll my eyes playfully, amused by her reaction. Then, almost suddenly, she asks, "Have you ever thought about polyamory?"

The suddenness of the question catches me off guard. I cough in surprise, struggling to regain my composure. "Wait, what? Do you have six guys locked in our basement for tests?"

Harvey bursts into laughter at my incredulous response. "No basement experiments. It's just that sometimes, this thing with Killan and Damien feels overwhelming, and I wonder what it'd be like if I could have both of them."

I nudge her gently with my free hand. "Be a kid, Harvs. Stop overthinking; you'll drive yourself crazy."

She chuckles, apparently taking my advice to heart. To lift our spirits, she starts playing "Our Song" by Taylor Swift. I join in enthusiastically, our voices melding as we sing the lyrics at the top of our lungs. The carefree moment fills the car, the world outside momentarily forgotten as we share a light-hearted bond, siblings navigating life's complexities together.

Tiny tiny chapter