Chapter 27

HARVEY

As I rushed to where I heard Damien's scream, my heart pounded in my chest. My worst fears were realized as I saw Damien lying on the floor, blood seeping from the gunshot wound. Without hesitation, I pulled out a clean cloth from my purse and pressed it firmly against the wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

"Damien, stay with me! Help is coming," I pleaded, my voice filled with panic and desperation. I held his head in my lap, trying to keep him conscious as I called for someone to come and help us.

In the chaos that ensued, Killan and some of his men rushed to the scene, their faces filled with concern. They quickly took charge, making sure the area was secure and calling for medical assistance.

As we waited for the paramedics to arrive, I kept the pressure on the wound, doing my best to keep Damien stable. I could feel his breathing becoming shallow, and tears streamed down my face.

"Come on, Damien. You're going to be okay. Just hold on," I whispered, trying to keep my voice steady.

Killan knelt down beside me, his expression a mix of worry and guilt. "I'm so sorry, Harvey. I never wanted any of this to happen," he said softly.

I didn't respond, my focus solely on Damien and ensuring he survived. I couldn't afford to let my emotions take over now.

Finally, the paramedics arrived, and they swiftly took over, rushing Damien to the hospital. I insisted on going with him, and Killan agreed, promising to handle the situation and find out who was behind the attack.

At the hospital, I watched anxiously as the doctors worked on Damien. The waiting felt agonizing, and I prayed for his recovery with every fiber of my being.

Hours later, the doctor finally emerged from the operating room, and I rushed to him, desperate for news.

"How is he? Is he going to be okay?" I asked, my voice trembling.

The doctor offered me a reassuring smile. "He's stable now. The surgery was successful, but he's going to need time to recover. He's lucky you acted quickly and applied pressure to the wound. It made a significant difference."

Relief washed over me, and I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. I thanked the doctor and then went to find Killan, who was still at the hospital.

"I want to know who did this," I said firmly, my eyes filled with determination.

Killan nodded. "I won't rest until I find out. I promise you, Harvey, I'll get to the bottom of this."

As Killan picked me up effortlessly, I couldn't help but feel a mix of vulnerability and gratitude. I wrapped my hands around his strong legs, feeling his reassuring strength as he supported me at his hips. My face buried in the crook of his neck, I felt safe in his arms, a feeling I hadn't experienced in a long time.

His steady strides carried us through the hospital hallways, and I clung to him tightly, seeking comfort in his embrace. It was a strange yet strangely intimate moment, but with Killan, it felt natural, as if he knew exactly how to provide me with the support I needed.

I could hear the soft murmurs of the nurses and doctors we passed, their concern for Damien evident in their expressions. But for that brief moment, the world outside faded away, and it was just Killan and me.

As we reached the waiting room, the worried faces of my family turned to us. Luca, Adrien, Devin, and my father all seemed relieved to see that Damien was alive and being cared for. Even Olivia, who had arrived with our parents, appeared genuinely concerned.

My father rushed over to us, his stern exterior softened by his concern for me. "Is he going to be okay?" he asked, worry etched in his features.

I nodded, my face still nestled in the safety of Killan's neck. "Yes, the doctor said he's stable. He's going to need time to recover, but he's going to be okay," I replied, my voice muffled against his shirt.