Chapter 35

The warmth of Damien's body against mine as we lay tangled in the sheets was a comforting cocoon of intimacy. Waking up slowly, I found my gaze meeting his, and his goofy grin brought an involuntary smile to my lips. Before I could lean in for a morning kiss, the door to my room swung open with a force that shattered the tranquility of the moment.

Startled, I instinctively sat up, clutching the blanket around me as my three older brothers and my father stormed into the room. Their expressions ranged from fury to disbelief, and I felt the heat of embarrassment creeping up my neck.

Damien, still sprawled on the bed, looked equally taken aback by the sudden intrusion. His wide eyes mirrored my shock, and his shirtless presence added a layer of awkwardness to the scene.

My cheeks burned as the room filled with accusations and incredulous questions. My mind raced to come up with a reasonable explanation for the entirely innocent situation that had been interrupted. Words tumbled out of my mouth in a jumbled mess as I tried to find some coherent way to explain.

Amidst the chaos, Damien's reaction stood out like a lifeline. He remained seated, his expression a mixture of disbelief and frustration. When the barrage of questions and anger seemed to reach its peak, his voice sliced through the chaos like a blade.

"Enough!" His growl held a fierce authority that demanded attention. He stood up, his body language radiating a protective energy that seemed to form a barrier around me. Facing my oldest brother, Luca, he continued, "If you have something to say, you say it to me. Don't you dare raise your voice or throw things around her again. I don't care who you are."

The weight of his words hung in the air, a challenge and a warning wrapped up together. His unwavering defense of me sent a rush of emotions surging through me. Amidst the turmoil, I felt a rush of gratitude and validation. Damien's unwavering support in the face of my family's anger was a testament to the depth of our connection.

Luca's silent shame was palpable as I walked past him and my brothers, heading for the door. Damien was close behind, his presence offering both comfort and a protective barrier against the lingering tension. As we stepped outside, he tried to pull me into an embrace from behind, but I instinctively pushed him away, my emotions still swirling from the recent confrontation.

My phone's ringtone pierced the air, and I rushed to grab it from my bedroom. A smile immediately spread across my face as I recognized Killan's voice on the other end. He asked about the situation with the intruder, and I chuckled as I recounted how Damien had scared the guy off.

However, my laughter was cut short when Damien's disapproving gaze landed on me. He leaned forward, his tone urgent, and instructed me to end the call. Confused, I complied, my eyebrows furrowing as I watched him closely.

"What's wrong?" I asked, puzzled by his sudden change in demeanor.

His response was laced with frustration. "It's always Killan, isn't it? Even from across the world, it's him."

I frowned at his words, my confusion deepening. Before I could react, Damien muttered something to himself, and then he turned to me, demanding to know, "Cut the call."

I hesitated for a moment, torn between the conversation with Killan and Damien's unexpected attitude. Eventually, I ended the call, watching Damien closely as I did.

Facing him, my patience waning, I questioned, "What do you want from me, Damien?"

He let out a laugh that seemed tinged with both amusement and frustration, muttering something under his breath before responding to me. "She's asking me what I want from her," he muttered to himself before turning back to me. "Simple. It's me or him."