Chapter 21

My heart skipped a beat when he said my name. I turned to him and he held a cheeky smirk, staring proudly at me. I huffed and shook my head as I obliged and took a second gulp.

The game went on for a good hour and eventually we were all feeling beyond tipsy. For some reason it always ended up me being the last to do the action or getting picked to drink and my vision was starting to get hazy. We were down to the last card and it was my turn.

Mckenzie peered over my shoulder at the card once I picked it up, "Ohhhh it's the Jack, it's the Jack!" she cackled, leaning back in her chair and clapping her hands together.

"That means I have to drink that-" I point lazily at the almost full jug of alcohol that was now a disgusting brown colour, "-doesn't it?"

Louis stuck a straw into the mixture and slid the jug across the table to me with his usual grin, "Drink up, lass!"

I groaned in defeat and took the jug, I was definitely going to be on the floor by the end of tonight. Everyone watched with smiley, anticipating expressions as I took the first sip, screwing my face up at the grim alcoholic taste that shot across my tongue and burned my throat making me cough. God knows what was in this mixture. The group all laughed and cheered at me, and despite how gross the drink tasted and how I was absolutely going to pass out from it if I did manage to drink the whole thing, I felt happy and like I belonged.

After the game we all departed from the table and made our way to the main space of the living room to dance. Mckenzie and I went absolutely mental busting moves in front of everyone and I was having so much fun. However, the more of the drink I consumed, the more lightheaded I was getting.

"I'm gonna take a breather," I yelled breathlessly into Mckenzie's ear and she nodded, continuing to dance wildly.

I spotted the front door and planned my escape route, feeling dizzy but going for it nonetheless. I was nearly out of the living room when my ankle buckled so that I trod on the side of my foot and I fell face first towards the ground - I thought this descent was going to mark my defeat and I was going to be out cold in seconds, so I braced myself, but before I reached the floor a pair of strong arms caught me on the way down.

"Woah, easy there blondie."

"H-harr- I'm... Sorry." I was struggling for breath in my state and my head was truly spinning, his voice sounded distant despite him being so close he was literally the only thing keeping me up off the floor. He held me at arms length and his face was blurry in my line of vision and my eyes were droopy.

"Have you actually nearly finished this?" he scowled, looking at the almost empty jug (that was definitely full less than an hour ago) which somehow remained firmly in my hand.

I nodded slowly. "I like a challenge," I managed to say and a tired smile broke out across my face. At this, Harry smiled back. At me. He actually smiled sincerely at me for the first time in what felt like forever. He was shaking his head, probably thinking about what a state I was in, but he did smile.

"What a trooper," he chuckled.

"But I don't think I can do anymore, Harry, I'm gonna die," I whined dramatically, "But I don't want people to think I'm weak! I'm not weak! I can be fun... sometimes."

He rolled his eyes and took the jug from me, and before I knew it he was tipping it out on the carpet. I gasped and suddenly felt much more awake at the sight of Harry tipping alcohol over his friend's carpet on purpose. I opened my mouth to scold him but he cut me off, "You bumped into me... spilled your drink."

I stared blankly at him before realising he was trying to help me out by making up a little fib, so I nodded understandingly. "Yeah, I did, didn't I. Sorry about that, by the way." He grinned knowingly and I cracked a smile.