Chapter 31

Despite the fact there was someone banging on the front door, I was still debating just ignoring it and remaining here with Harry sprawled out across me. His light breaths against my stomach as he slept were so calming and he was in this vulnerable, sweet state that I wished could last forever, but ultimately I knew because it was so late, whoever was there had a good reason to be.

I huffed, trying to gently move a sleeping Harry from on top of me without waking him up. Luckily he was way too drunk to even respond when I slipped out from underneath him and left him face down on the sofa. I tiptoed to the door for the second time tonight, squinting to look through the peephole in the wood.

Oh shit.

I glanced around in a once again panic, realising there was absolutely nothing I could do to get out of this awkward situation I was about to be flung into, so eventually after some quick pondering, I just opened the door and faced reality.

"Liam," I said with surprise laced in my voice, trying to look happily surprised rather than uncomfortably surprised, "Hi, what are you doing here?"

"Hi!" he sang, bringing me in for a sincere and tight hug. At this point he still was unaware of the half naked man sleeping on the sofa in the front room, obviously. "I just got back and wanted to surprise you. I promised I'd see you as soon as I was home, so here I am," he smiled happily.

"I'm surprised, that's for sure," I said a bit too awkwardly, faking a smile so I didn't raise any concern.

"Sorry it's so late. I rang your mum and she said you'd be here and more than likely be awake so..."

"Uh, no, it's okay," I told him somewhat more convincingly, "Come in."

He strolled past me and stopped in front of the sofa. Liam being Liam, he didn't seem the slightest bit shocked or annoyed when he saw Harry passed out in his underwear with his limbs hanging off the side of the sofa, he only laughed and looked at me with confusion.

"Why's Harry here? And why's he got no clothes on?" Liam laughed again, still confused but not at all angry.

Now to try and explain this. For the love of God, make it convincing, Jess.

"He's drunk — completely wasted. He was at a Halloween party with my brother and they were coming back here afterwards, but for some reason he turned up early and without Niall so I just let him in, he took off his soaking clothes — you know, from the rain — and then fell asleep," I fibbed. Not bad for on the spot.

"Right," Liam nodded, completely buying into my lies and becoming amused by my story.

"Yeah, I'm just playing babysitter. Why don't you go upstairs to my room and I'll... sort him out."

"You sure? I mean I can help you g—"

"No, it's okay. I'm sure; I'll be fine," I smiled reassuringly, silently pleading for him to leave.

Thankfully, he smiled back with another nod before heading off up the stairs. I waited until I heard the slam of my bedroom door close before rushing over to Harry and shaking him awake. He groaned and murmured something in response and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how wrecked he was.

"Harry, wake up. Liam's here."

That sure perked him up. He hauled his head up and looked at me through squinted eyes, eyebrows pulled together.

"What?" he mumbled, as if he wasn't sure if he was actually awake and hearing me correctly.

"Liam just showed up, he's upstairs. You need to pull it together so I can go up and leave you here and still find you alive when I wake up tomorrow."