Chapter 49

"H-hi, Zayn?" I almost whimpered. I'd never rung Zayn before, I didn't even know how I had his number in my phone. I had hardly even spoken to him since I'd known him, and after the other night I wasn't sure I was supposed to, but my adrenaline was pumping and I had no other option unless I wanted to cry to my ex boyfriend who I cheated on.

"Yeah, who's this?" he asked, sounding completely chilled out despite not knowing who he was speaking to. I suppose he didn't recognise my hoarse voice because I'd been crying so much. I barely even recognised my own voice right now.

"It's Jess," I informed him shyly. Usually I wouldn't even have the guts to call someone to beg for help, but I was too panicky to sit back and just wait for Niall to come home.

"Oh, hi. Are... are you alright?"

"No," I told him, straight up. "I've majorly fallen out with Harry, and Niall — my brother — has gone out to find him and I'm scared of what he might do. The last time I saw either of them they were mad and I think they're going to get in a fight and no one's answering their phones and there's no way I can get there," I rambled, my voice wavering every now and then as I was reminded of why I was actually calling him. By now, I couldn't even feel my face it was that cold and I was stood outside with no shoes on.

"Okay, woah— Calm down," he instructed calmly. "Why's your brother gonna fight Harry?"

"Because Harry's been talking about me behind my— Wait, you know that, you were there," I remembered, feeling humiliated all over again at the thought of Zayn hearing all the stuff Harry had to say about me. "But my brother worked out I'd been crying because of him and now he's driven off to go and find him, so I'm sure he's going to trying and kill him."

"Right, okay. Where are you, Jess?"

"At home. You know where I live don't you?"

"Stay there, I'm leaving right now."

The line went dead and I shoved my phone back in my pocket. I had no clue why Zayn of all people would want to help me, but I was grateful. I had seen him at that guy's house earlier on in the evening, so if he was still there that means he was willing to leave his friends because he knew I was in trouble. If not then he was probably at home, and even leaving the comfort of his house on a winter night for me was a big deal in my eyes. I'd never really had friends that would drop everything or go out of their way because I needed them to, so it was a strange thing to have him instantly feel like he wanted to help me.

I couldn't believe I'd actually done it; I'd rang a random one of Harry's friends and guilt tripped him into coming to pick me up so I could stop my brother and my... Harry, from killing each other.

I waited in the road, hopping around and rubbing my hands over my arms to try and keep warm. I realised still didn't have any shoes on, and the door was wide open with no one inside, so in a hurry I ran back in, put on a jacket and some vans and picked up my keys to lock up the house on my way out.

The rumble of an engine could be heard in the distance and it was getting nearer. I started to feel anxious when I saw headlights and a shiny black Suzuki sped up the road towards me, Zayn looking out his window at every house to try and spot mine. He came to a sudden halt when he saw me and I trotted over to the passenger side and got in.

He turned the dial on his expensive-looking radio so that the rap music he was blaring out became merely background noise while he looked over to me as I fastened my seatbelt, lounged back in his seat with one hand on the wheel and the other by his mouth. Everything about his car, the interior and all the modifications such as the stereo gave off a very modern, futuristic vibe. To go with the flashy car, his luscious jet black hair was tied up in low bun and he had a headband on to keep it slicked back, dark eyes looking curiously at me with a subtle hint of sympathy. I noticed the same thick grey jumper I saw him in earlier on covering his upper half, and ripped jeans hugged his slim legs. He had the whole shebang going on.