I

~~❖~~

He pulled up to the Rose Garden Psychiatric Hospital and noted, despite the name, that there was not a single rose garden to be seen. Instead, the grounds that were enclosed by the towering charcoal-black fence were overgrown and abandoned. The asylum was made of silver stones, growing with weeds and vines. The structure was ancient and weary, as though it had been long forgotten among the shadows.

As he stepped out of the vintage black car, he took in the cold night air and promptly walked up to the entrance, preparing himself for what was to come

~~❖~~

The moment the door was forced open, the receptionist behind the desk fixed her eyes on the slim man as he strode up to her.

With a cheerful smile, she greeted him.

"Evening, visiting someone, sir?" The sharp, jovial voice bounced off the walls as he paused in front of the desk, taking a moment before replying to the lingering question.

"No." His cold authoritative tone was enough to make the receptionist's smile falter, if only for a few seconds.

"Oh, uh-."

"I'm here for the job."

The expressionless statement took a moment to register in her mind, but as soon as it did, the smile returned to her face.

"Ah, so you're the new doctor! Dr. Benjamin Yechezkel, is it?"

"That's right."

"Nice to meet you! I'm Olivia Cecilie."

"Hello, Ms. Cecilie." The gloomy and disinterested tone of the man's voice made Olivia reconsider her small talk, but she continued regardless.

"I heard you just moved here! How do you like Denmark, Benjamin?"

His face grimaced in disgust at the use of his first name, but he obliged.

"It's...fine."

"Good, good. Where'd you move from?"

"London."

"Really~ It's beautiful over there!"

"Indeed, could you please guide me to the director, Ms. Cecile?"

Though she resented the abrupt change of the subject, Olivia quickly nodded and led him upstairs to the director.

"Here it is!" She smiled once more at the aloof man before returning to her seat in the lobby.

The man stood at the door, sighing softly as he ran his fingers through short platinum hair and knocked.

"Come in."

~~~~❖

Benjamin settled into his chair and stared at the director across from him.

"Welcome, Yechezkel! It's good to have you. I'm Gustav Marius. I'll be your, for lack of a better word, boss! It's a pleasure to finally meet such a distinguished doctor as yourself."

"Thank you, sir."

Looking out the window, Benjamin knew it was late, that he should have come in the morning, but Gustav had asked him to come the night before so he could, as he put it, 'explain'.

"Well, I suppose we should get down to business, then?" Benjamin nodded slightly before Gustav began.

"Okay... the Rose Garden Psychiatric Hospital is, well... we have a high reputation here, which has slowly taken a nosedive due to... well, our staff leaving, and, uh... as you already know, we need help more than ever now that, well... we have him."

"They said you needed more help, though I don't know why. Who are you referring to?"

Gustav hesitated for a moment before he picked up a thick folder from his desk and handed it to the white-haired man. After this, he started speaking once again.

"You see, a few years ago we got a patient who was... well, extremely hostile. And every doctor assigned to him can't last a week. I'm running out of options, so..." His voice trailed off mid-sentence as he stared down at his desk.

"It says here that he was able to escape all his previous hospitals?" Looking at the patient's file, Benjamin was surprised to see such an abnormal case.

"Yes, don't let his childlike persona fool you, Xylo Vovk is very smart AND lethal. I genuinely believe that he could have escaped from here too, but he hasn't.

"Hmm, I see-."

"Well, I just wanted to give this to you before your first day tomorrow... Read as much of it as you can." After they said their goodbyes, Benjamin made a quick exit from the hospital. He had some studying to do.

~~❖~~~~

Papers covered his entire desk, and it was well past his bedtime as Benjamin continued to learn more about the curious Xylo.

His age, where he came from, how he behaved, and even his disorders. It was all there, yet he felt there was still more.

The Ukrainian refugee was only twenty-three years old (he was born on June 1st, 1950), but suffered from a variety of disorders, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, PTSD, anxiety, depression, and IED. He was in his first psychiatric hospital in 1962 when he had a breakdown and killed his two foster parents.

After the Holocaust, in which the lives of millions of civilians ended (including his parents) and the post-war reconstruction, Xylo was adopted into a Dutch home. After escaping from his first asylum, he went on a killing spree, where twenty people died.

Xylo Vovk had certainly been nefarious in the past, and now Benjamin would meet him in just a few hours.