II

"So, how'd it go?" The brisk morning breeze swept through his brown curls as the director spoke.

"There is no doubt that Xylo is unique. Are you sure I can handle him?"As he looked back over the file, Yechezkel slowly filled with doubt.

"Now I know it may be true, Xylo's a pure psychopath. But as one of the finest doctors I know, I'm sure you'll be able to help him."

Benjamin crossed his arms, clearly getting uncomfortable.
"Remember, when you meet him, don't tell him anything personal. You don't want him in your head."

~❖~~~~~↬

Tray in hand, Xylo was being brought his breakfast (oatmeal with fruit, a glass of water, and eggs). Benjamin walked down the long corridor of patients' rooms until he came to the end of it, to room 379.

The man retrieved the keys his boss had given him from his tall white coat, careful not to spill the meal as he unlocked the door before entering, uncertain of what he would encounter.

"Hi there, Xylo." As the man entered the white padded room, a pair of big emerald eyes fluttered in his direction.

Xylo sat in his straitjacket on the floor of the nearly empty room, which consisted only of a bed, with an almost bored expression on his face as he peered up at Benjamin.

"I've brought you something to eat." His gaze remained on Benjamin, but he didn't respond, appearing remarkably emotionless.

"Mind if I sit?" He continued.

Getting no response from the boy, Benjamin placed the tray in front of him and crossed his legs to match Xylo's position.

Benjamin glossed over the frail boy, unconcerned by his lack of response. Xylo's disheveled black curls easily covered his large eyes, depriving the man of any further emotion.

Benjamin sighed gently to himself, "I'm Benjamin, your new physician. I'm going to be looking after you from now on." Xylo only blinked at him, then down at the food.

"Here, I'll feed you." The doctor took the bowl of oatmeal from the tray and stirred it with the spoon before raising it to his lips. Xylo promptly took a tiny bite from the spoon, as if he hadn't been fed in a while, which made sense considering that the employees were too afraid to go near the little fellow.

"Good?" Benjamin asked after he had taken a few bites.

"Mmmm~!" His reaction was merely a chirp.

~❖~~~~~↬

When the tray of food was emptied, Benjamin tried to talk to the patient one more time.

"Well, Xylo-how's it going?" He only frowned upon hearing the doctor try to talk.

"SHUT UP!" He hissed, "Stop pretending to like me!" Venom laced his words as he spoke.

"Xylo, I do like you." Benjamin was very calm amid his outburst as if he'd done it a million times before.

"NO! No, you don't! None of you do! You all think I'm a-a MONSTER!"

Benjamin couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him. He slowly shifted the tray to the side before his words.

"You're not a monster, Xylo. What you feel is completely normal."

"It is?"

"Yes, of cour-."

The doctor didn't have a chance to finish before he was slammed in the head. He fell backward violently as he let out a sharp groan.

"LIAR!"

The room began to spin, and fortunately for Benjamin, just before he fainted from the blow, two other doctors rushed into the room after hearing the commotion.

~❖~~~~~↬

He awoke in a rush, adrenaline coursing as he squinted at the bright light. Benjamin had been taken to the hospital's infirmary on his first day and was now lying on one of their beds, head wrapped in gauze.

He sat up groggily and looked around for someone. When he didn't see anyone, he stood up and put on his white coat again before slowly making his way to Mr. Marius' office.

Before he could get there, however, he was greeted by the receptionist, who appeared to be on her lunch break.

"Benjamin! Oh my God, how are you? I heard you got hit! Is that true? How's your head? Shouldn't you be resting now?" The woman rambled on and soon offered him her sandwich (which he quickly declined).

"Miss Cecilie, I'm fine! Thanks for your concern, but I'll be on my way now." Before Olivia had a chance to continue, he was out of there in a hurry.

~❖~~~~~↬

He knocked on the door and waited for an answer before he entered the room.

"Yechezkel, hello. Please sit down."

As he sat down, his boss went on rather straightforwardly.

"It's time for you to go home." As much as Benjamin wanted to object at that moment, the director raised his hand and continued, his voice filled with melancholy.

"You've done a good job, but I can't let you continue with your injuries, I'd feel a lot better if you came back tomorrow."

"Sir, he just got a little agitated, that's all. I'm fine to continue, so kindly don't make me leave."

There was some more back and forth between the two until Gustav finally allowed him to stay for the day.

Having gotten his way, Benjamin exited the office to fetch Xylo a delayed lunch.