IX

It was early in the morning and Benjamin was on his way to work. The doctor was having a very bad morning as he sat on the bus. Benjamin hated public transportation and had almost called in sick when his car wouldn't start this morning. But he wanted to check on Kasper. The infirmary was the last place he had seen the man.

While waiting for his stop, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked at Maria. He hadn't spoken to the janitor since their visit to the pub a few days prior.

She greeted him. Her voice was soft yet full of sadness.

"Hello, Yechezkel." At a loss for words with the girl, he waved back.

"I just saw you and wanted to say thanks again."

They started talking, and Maria was glad to have someone to converse with on the bus. She was usually alone, but Benjamin had been kind enough to give her a seat next to him.

It took a little while, but finally, the bus came to a stop and they got off. It was a bright and sunny day as they walked the remainder of the way to work.

"You ride the bus daily?" Benjamin asked the janitor.

"Well... yes, I can't afford a car at the moment."

The walk wasn't that far, but it still felt like an eternity. As they neared their destination, they heard a distant siren.

"What's that sound?" Maria questioned. She tilted her head slightly at the wailing siren as they rounded the corner.

"I'm not quite sure. Sounds like a siren."

"A siren?"

Benjamin and Maria gaped incredulously at the hospital. There were ambulances and fire trucks all around them. And the whole place was ablaze. It looked as if it had been on fire for quite some time, and people were scattered about, desperately trying to put it out.

Desperate for an answer, Benjamin ran to one of the firemen. Too scared to move, Maria stayed where she was.

"Sir! What the hell is going on?" The doctor asked the man.

"What does it look like? The whole building's on fire!"

The fireman was not too interested in answering Benjamin's questions. He was too preoccupied with his work to have any concern for the doctor. Nevertheless, Benjamin continued to pepper him with questions. They had not found anyone yet, Benjamin was told. They weren't sure how it started, and no one had come out of the building alive.

Perhaps one of the patients was to blame.

Maria began to cry. She could not believe her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine." Benjamin made a half-hearted attempt to calm the janitor down, only to have her sprint away from the scene. Despite his reluctance to leave, Benjamin decided to follow Maria. There wasn't much he could do about the situation anyway.

He ran after her, but soon got lost. By the time he looked back, Maria was gone. Benjamin was in disbelief that his work had burned, and not only that, but that there had been no survivors.

He had no idea what to do, he had a feeling that he should go home, but at the same time, he had a feeling that it would be wrong to. But Benjamin wouldn't be doing either. Before he could think, an old cloth was forced into his mouth. He felt dizzy all over, and he quickly succumbed to the darkness.