XIV

"Like your soup, Benny?" Xylo hovered over the doctor. He gave a short but approving reply and washed his dish. It was now the month of October, and Benjamin had given up all hope of ever returning to a normal life.

It was obvious that Xylo needed him, and maybe he could convince the boy to stop harming people. Although there was a slim chance that this would actually occur.

They had been on the move several times over the months and were now in a small apartment in Hamburg, Germany. Benjamin was no longer able to express his discomfort after the last incident with Xylo. Denmark had once been bustling with life, but now there were only nine hundred thousand people left. It was inconceivable that he could achieve such a fate, and yet there they were.

"Xylo. You should know better." Xylo looked at Axey with a sad expression. He did not react to the weapon, he did not want to believe it. "You don't matter to him. He just doesn't want to get hurt." His big green eyes darted to Benjamin, trying to block out the voice of the axe, which was only getting louder. "Don't ignore me, Xylo! What is the reason for this behavior?"

"Let's take a walk, Benny!" Xylo grabbed the man by the arm and led him out. He barely had time to get his shoes on before Xylo pulled him frantically.

"Stay with me, Xylo."

Xylo rushed out of the apartment with Benjamin in tow.

"Slow down. What's the matter?" Benjamin gasped as they slowed to a halt. Xylo was on the verge of tears, growing paranoid as he tried to hide from passersby.

"I—I...didn't do it! No, he forced me!" He spat out nonsense in a hoarse and broken voice. Benjamin pulled him into a hug, but it didn't do much good.

"He made me do it—I didn't wanna kill her."

They remained in the embrace for another minute before Xylo pulled away.

"Xylo—who are you referring to?" His eyes widened as Xylo's erratic voice explained. Axey wouldn't stop harassing him. Benjamin immediately suspected Xylo of hallucinations when he heard more about the axe.

Axey Rigor Mortis Домініон, the Greatest Axe of Eternal Sorrow and Vengeance (as Xylo called it) found Xylo when he was young. He had just escaped the clutches of an evil hospital and was in the midst of dirt and rubble when he first heard the voice of the weapon. Xylo calmly repeated the first words it had spoken to Benjamin.

"The Holocaust, such a terrible thing. They took everything from you. There can be no survival of the fittest, can there? We can cause them pain."

Xylo picked up the axe. He had a friend. A friend who understood how he felt. A friend who wasn't just interested in 'fixing' him like the hospital.

From that day forward, Xylo and Axey were partners in the pursuit of justice for the victims of the treacherous genocide. But there came a time when Xylo no longer wanted to hurt anyone. They weren't the people who did him harm, they were just random bystanders in the middle of it all.

He had lived on the streets with Axey as a child. Scared and alone, running from people who claimed to help. Axey made him feel less alone.

But when an old lady who ran a candy store offered him a chocolate bar, he did something he still regrets to this day.

"Quick! You must kill her, Xylo." Axey's childlike voice sounded.

"What? I can't do that." He said in a whisper to his friend. "She's done nothing." The lady noticed him talking to himself and asked if he was okay. Xylo could still recall the woman. Her soft voice, how she smelled of sweets and happiness. It saddened him.

"What's a boy like you doing running around with an axe? Are you a farmer boy?" Xylo only nodded as he reached for the candy.

"Don't eat that! It might be poison." Axey's statement caused him to drop the bar almost immediately.

"Oh gosh, are you okay?" Xylo had so much to think and feel that he couldn't hear what she said. All he heard was static.

"Her parents are Nazis! Can't you see the photo on the wall? Look at the symbol. You got to kill her! She's a monster, she's taken everything away from you." Axey went on with its tirade.

"But—but. It's not her fault! Her parents are the monsters." He whispered again, aware of the people's constant stares in the shop.

"Xylo, it's in her blood! If she gets the slightest inkling that you're the enemy, your head will be on the chopping block! Nailed to a pole... or worse!"

"NO!" Xylo began to scream, kicking at the air.

They all watched in horror as he lunged at the woman. With one swing of his axe, he hacked through her chest. She screamed in agony and tried to get the little boy away from her, but he just kept swinging. The ground splattered in a bloodbath. The lady's arm was then torn from its socket.

People were screaming all around him. Some ran for help, others stopped him.

Xylo was drenched in blood as he ran from the scene. Too small to be caught, he slipped out of the city. He had killed the woman, he knew it, for he saw the light fade from her eyes. He saw her bloody body crumpled in a pool of blood. She died, and he was soon full of regret after the adrenaline rush wore off. He had done it for them, why were they so angry?

Stroking his raven hair, Benjamin led Xylo back into the apartment. Xylo had calmed down a bit. But as soon as he entered the living room, he felt another surge of adrenaline and paranoia.

Still lying on the table where Xylo had left him, he heard Axey crying and distressed. It was all Xylo's fault, he heard Axey say. Benjamin knew now that the inanimate object was saying something to him.

"Xylo, look at me." Benjamin carefully turned Xylo to face him. "I think you have to get rid of it."

Benjamin wished he could go back in time and undo what he said. He regretted it almost immediately.