XV

Benjamin wished he could go back in time and undo what he said. He regretted it immediately.

There was a loud slap and Benjamin stuttered backward. Xylo had struck him. The zealous boy dashed out of the room, back into the big world, where he could do whatever he wanted.

Benjamin was in shock, and even though he felt the need to follow him, he stayed right where he was. Xylo had taken the axe with him, which only served to make the doctor feel even more uneasy.

He sat back and counted his blessings. He had only come here to help out in a simple hospital, he never imagined it would go to such extremes. There was no telling if Benjamin had made things worse or better in any way. All he knew was that he had become a hostage to one of the most feared people he knew.

Everyone knew he was out there, but they could do nothing. He was the one demon that always came back to haunt you, no matter how many times you exorcised him, he always came back.

As if on cue, the doctor heard a thunderous crash in the distance, followed by screams. Peering cautiously through a window, his stomach sank. But before he could see anything, he was hurled backward at a high speed and force. His head slammed into the wall behind him and he struggled to breathe.

As his eyesight began to fail, he caught a glimpse of what had happened. The right side of the apartment was gone. And the Heinrich Hertz Tower was nowhere in sight.

The ringing grew louder and soon Benjamin was unconscious.

Those who remained screamed bloody murder as they fled the city. The radio tower had been blown to pieces, and there was no telling how many had been its victims.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

About 1,749,00 people in Hamburg, and about 30,000 people remained after Xylo left.

"Very good job, Xylo." Axey said in praise. After an hour on the train, Axey had finally stopped ranting about making Benjamin sleep with fishes.

Xylo had been his savior, even though Axey was quite offended by Benjamin's words. Xylo still loved him, even if he didn't want to admit it. Something about the doctor attracted Xylo's attention. He was special. He cared about Xylo as much as Axey did. He had the most wonderful smile, one that pulled on Xylo's heartstrings. It was real and pure.

Xylo remembered Benjamin telling him that he'd often been the subject of teasing because of his albinism, but Xylo couldn't understand. Why would anyone make fun of something so beautiful? Benjamin's albinism was what made his hair so beautiful and so white. It was unique.

It brought back memories of being bullied by the other boys at the orphanage. They mocked him for being Ukrainian, something he could not control.

They were like each other, people ridiculed them for being themselves. Xylo and Benny would show them. Xylo was sure of it.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

Benjamin awoke to Xylo playing with his white hair. He sat up groggy and noticed that they were on a train. Xylo chirped him good morning, even though it was clearly evening.

"Xylo? Where are we?" He watched through the window as everything passed by. They were heading to Obrigheim, Xylo explained. Benjamin's stomach sank at that name. There was too much that Xylo could do there. Nuclear power plants were not to be tampered with after all.

"Xylo, they wronged you...I understand. But this is going too far! It's been a long time, there's no need to do harm to these people."

Benjamin's entreaties got Xylo thinking, and he soon blocked out the doctor's voice.

The Holocaust had been long ago. Xylo had not even been born at the time of the genocide's end. But that didn't change the fact that he could have led a happy life had it not been for the catastrophe.

"Xylo? Are you paying attention? I'm serious." Benjamin's cold voice snapped Xylo out of his reverie.

"Hmm? Oh, sorry... I was just having a train of thought!" He laughed. Benjamin only rolled his eyes at the boy.

"Get it? Train of thought?"

The two of them were just outside Obrigheim, and Xylo was in the process of gathering the few things he had with him. The Ukrainian pulled Benjamin off the train and they began their journey.

There weren't many people living there in comparison to Hamberg or Denmark, but that didn't matter to Xylo. For it was there that he would hopefully find what Axey had mentioned. A power plant.

Xylo had heard a bit of talk about an anti-nuclear movement since he escaped from the Rose Garden Psychiatric Hospital, but he hadn't given it too much thought, considering the nuclear power plants were still in use.

He didn't know much about power plants or their use, Xylo just knew that the big nuclear thingy would explode. And his enemies would probably die.