VII

It had taken a great deal of discussion and persuasion, but Gustav had finally allowed Benjamin to take his patient into the kitchen to do some cooking. Xylo hadn't been out in the open without his straitjacket for a very long time, and he was very excited to be given a chance.

"Remember, Xylo. You've got to behave yourself, or they won't let us continue cooking, okay?" Benjamin said, leading Xylo into the kitchen. The patient simply nodded, not caring what he said.

The two entered the large kitchen, and Benjamin began to list the things they could make. But he was quickly interrupted by Xylo, who already had an idea in mind.

"Drømmekage!" He shouted with joy. Benjamin gave the boy a smile and began to gather the necessary ingredients.

The talented baker began by combining flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla to create a soft and moist sponge cake that may seem simple, but was the perfect base for the sweet coconut topping that made the dessert so delicious.

Once Xylo had made the batter, he quickly shoved it into the oven. Meanwhile, Benjamin sat back and watched him work.

"Yay! This is going to be so yummy." Xylo cheered as he mixed his topping. The topping was made with shredded coconut, brown sugar, and more butter. The cake was then baked in the oven until it was golden brown and the topping was caramelized.

The patient didn't even need a recipe as he vigorously put his Drømmekage together.

"Excellent work, Xylo." Benjamin praised him. Just like that, his dessert was ready.

Xylo took a deep breath at the sight of his creation. The soft vanilla cake with delicious coconut was finished and the couple pulled out some plates.

"Let's do this every day, Benny!" Xylo pulled his doctor into a tight hug. He wasn't used to baking with other people, but he was so happy when Benjamin allowed him to make the sweet cake. Benjamin was so kind to him, it was almost surreal.

"Huh, Benny?" Xylo asked him.

"What is it, Xylo?" The patient had not left for years and asked his doctor what year it was. Benjamin wasn't sure if he should answer, but Xylo was too cute to ignore.

"August 30, 1973."

"Well, something sure smells good in here." Kasper stepped into the kitchen and was both surprised and horrified to see one of the most notorious patients, Xylo, eating a piece of cake with his doctor.

"Oh, hello, Kasper. We just made some Drømmekage. Would you like some?" Benjamin sensed the apprehensive atmosphere surrounding Kasper as he entered. Xylo noticed it too, annoyed that the same person was interrupting his time with Benny.

"Huh? But this is ours!" Xylo protested as Benjamin gave their food away to a nobody.

"C'mon, we can't eat all this." Benjamin laughed as he beckoned his friend over.

Kasper stood next to Benjamin, still reluctant to approach Xylo. Xylo gritted his teeth when Benjamin handed him a piece of Drømmekage. He didn't like the redhead.

"Go away." The patient snapped before Kasper could take a bite.

"Xylo! That's very rude." Xylo got up when Benjamin gave his patient an admonishing glance.

"I know, that's why I said it!"

Before the two doctors had time to think, Xylo's clenched fist slammed into the ginger's face.

Kasper grunted loudly as he fell backward. Benjamin's desperate pleas and attempts to shove Xylo away were to no avail. The raven-haired man was far stronger than he looked.

Punching and biting, Xylo never stopped attacking. Blood gushed from Kasper's nose and mouth. Sickening cries for help only increased the sadist's wrath.

When Olivia saw her friend being pummeled by the beast, she let out a loud scream. The girl ran to the two doctors. And with the combined strength of Olivia and Benjamin, they managed to drag Xylo away before Kasper fainted.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

Bruised and bandaged, Kasper awoke in the infirmary. As he stirred, Benjamin sat beside him.

"How are you feeling?" The ginger looked around. His coat and shoes had been removed.

He slowly rose, remaining disoriented.

"Um...Fine, I guess." When Gustav heard about Xylo's outburst, he was immediately returned to his room. Benjamin explained that he had probably just been overwhelmed by the situation and that he was currently under sedation.

"I shouldn't have come in." Listening to the raindrops on the window, Kasper remembered his past actions.

"Stop blaming yourself, I should have known he wasn't ready...he was just eager." Benjamin was incredulous that he had been in such a state of emotional turmoil at the time. He knew Xylo wasn't ready, yet he had taken him out anyway.

Kasper took the hand of the white-haired man. He squeezed it tightly and his deep voice rang out around them. He reassuringly spoke to Benjamin. He wanted him to know that they would be okay.

Benjamin brought Kasper his coat, which was shredded, and the pin with his name torn off.

"That's okay, I'll get a new one tomorrow," Kasper replied. Benjamin nodded and picked up the pin. He tucked it into his coat's top pocket.

"I'll get it mended."