IV

Benjamin was eating in the lounge when Kasper opened the door. His voice was the same deep melody Benjamin had heard the first time.

"Hello again, how are you, Yechezkel?"

As the two talked, Olivia spotted her friend. She bounced up to him, full of energy.

"Hey, Kasper!" She cooed, "Having a good day?" The two looked at her.

"Ah, hi Olivia."

"Ooh! Benjamin, hi! How's Xylo?" She was nervous talking about the monstrous patient. And when the receptionist saw Benjamin's bandaged arm, worry crossed her face.

"What happened?" She cried as she pointed at his arm. Kasper glanced over, embarrassed at the realization that he hadn't even seen his injury.

"I'm fine. It was just a bite, that's all."

"Whoa! How can you be so calm? You're so brave!" Though still worried, Olivia continued to praise him.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

"Here, I brought you dinner."

"FUCK OFF." Xylo hissed, still furious from earlier. Benjamin let out a sigh before putting the tray down.

"Xylo... I'm terribly sorry..."

"SORRY'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I WANT YOU OUT!" Before the doctor could sit down, Xylo began flailing his legs, kicking and screaming at the man.

The tray overturned, spilling water and food onto the white padded floor.

"Xylo! I'm sorry. It wasn't my place to ask such personal things. I only meant well." Having no other option, Benjamin quickly left. He ordered the mess to be cleaned up before returning to the lounge. The doctor was done for the day, and he hoped that Xylo would be feeling better by tomorrow.

Exhausted, the doctor gathered his things. He was ready to go home, as were many of his colleagues who passed him by. He heard two familiar voices as they came up behind him.

"Are we still on for dinner tonight?" Olivia asked Kasper as they entered the staff room to collect their things.

"I guess, pretty tired though. Is Maria still coming?"

Benjamin turned as they greeted him. Olivia beamed as she spoke.

"Benjamin! Would you like to come for dinner? We eat out every Wednesday." Kasper agreed and invited his friend to join them at the pub. Although Benjamin explained that he was very tired, the receptionist's pleas soon won out and they left the hospital.

The trio waited for Maria Pedersen in the parking lot, basking in the night air.

"Who is Ms. Pedersen?" Benjamin asked the couple.

"Ah! She's the janitor! She's really nice." Olivia declared.

Soon, a young woman emerged from the building. Olivia cheered as she ran up to the brunette. Her long hair brushed against the back of her dirty uniform as she walked toward them.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

The tavern was full of noise. Drunkards laughed as the four sat at a table. There was dancing and cheering all around them as they waited for their meals.

"How do you like Rose Garden, Benjamin?" Olivia raised her voice, drowning out the endless shouting as she twirled her strawberry-blonde hair.

"It's okay, I guess." Benjamin was in no mood to discuss his work. He preferred the hospital in London, but since this one offered more money for half the work, he decided to move.

Benjamin had no love for such outings. The strong smell of alcohol burned his nose as his colleagues drank. There was a lot of talk about patients and how much trouble some could be. Kasper saw many patients daily, but his most important and difficult was little Miss Quincy. She was only seven, but thought she was a bat. The poor girl was lycanthropic, and Kasper had to fetch her off the roof at least a dozen times.

As the four ate, a short, drunken man walked up to them with his two friends behind him. He stopped and stared at Maria before bursting into laughter.

"Well, well. Look, guys, someone let a pig into the bar!" The short man hiccupped and pointed at her.

"Shut up, ya lort!" Olivia cursed the three idiots. Maria grabbed her waist in a hug as her arguably more fit friend stood up for her. It wasn't the first time she'd been told she was fat, and it wasn't the first time she'd been defended by Olivia.

"Fed og grim gris!" Another drunk chuckled.

The small man was about to open his mouth when the tall figure of the doctor loomed over him. Benjamin fired a quick shot at him and his friends in the most intimidating and sinister tone they'd ever heard.

Both friends hurriedly abandoned him and ran out. The little man just bowed his head and mumbled a few words of apology before he did the same.

"Th-Thank you." Maria thanked the doctor before she too rushed out of the pub. Olivia chased after her and Kasper patted Benjamin's shoulder. It was time everyone went home.